Chapter 03 | Shits and Giggles

AFTER SWITCHING MY SCIENCE BOOK with my Language Arts notebook, I slammed my locker door shut only to be greeted by Normani's beaming face right next to me

AFTER SWITCHING MY SCIENCE BOOK with my Language Arts notebook, I slammed my locker door shut only to be greeted by Normani's beaming face right next to me. She flips through the thin pages of her planner, the colorful tab cards sticking out, making sure she knows which page to flip to.

"Okay, I'll just need a bit of your time, I promise. You'll be taking pictures for the beach party right? Kalle mentioned to me that your mom might not let you go but if you are gonna go, you'll be taking them, right?" she inquired, not looking up from her planner.

She now held a blue pen in her hand, as if she was taking notes down from an interview but in reality, she was just being Normani. The Hermione Granger of Riverside High.

I nod my head.

"Uh, yeah. Landers told me to get as many photos I could this year since it's our last year here and she obviously wants the best pictures from her favorite student," I say, grinning. "But if I can't make it, I'll give Kalle one of my cameras and I'll just snatch the photos she takes.

"Okay, one last thing, Kalle won't tell me so hopefully you will, are you guys going to pull any dumb shit at the party?"

She looked like she was begging for the answer to be no but Kalle's favorite time to prank had always been during parties so...

"You already know the answer to that, Nor. I gotta head to class, see ya."

I walked off, but I could hear her voice booming threateningly at me. "You better not do anything that'll ruin the party just for the shits and giggles, Kayson!"

I give her a thumbs up and turn the corner and venture up the stairs to Language, only to bump into some clumsy Sophomore as I stepped off the stairs.

"Sorry! Sorry!"

In a rush, the black-haired girl picked up her notebooks and papers that fell out of her grasp. It looked like she was struggling so I decided to help her out as my mother taught me to be a kind person.

"Is that Kayson Blakes actually helping someone?" A very familiar voice spoke as they got closer.

My gaze fell on my best friend, who was wearing a loose gray Mickey Mouse shirt and leggings, a plaid flannel wrapped around her waist, and her iconic ponytail. "Yeah, well Kals, unlike some people, I actually have some decency."

"That's the best joke I've heard in a while," she snickers, kneeling down to help us. "At least I didn't help sprain a girl's ankle."

How many papers can a person fucking carry?

"Technically you did."

"Oh, here we go with the technicallys, I won't listen to someone who found out what that word meant just a year ago."