Chapter 02 | Do you never wear shirts?

TO SAY I WAS in trouble was an understatement

TO SAY I WAS in trouble was an understatement. Apparently, one of the girls had slipped and fractured an ankle so here I am, sitting on one of our many metal stools in the dimly lit kitchen, awaiting my mother's disappointment.

I look closely at my camera at the pictures I snapped today. When I scrolled through Kalle's pictures, there was one of her momentarily in the middle of everything, I couldn't help but smile a little.

She wore her honey blonde hair loosely tied into a ponytail, a few scattered strands framing the edge of her face, matching the sparkle in her stormy gray eyes as she laughed although she was getting wet from the water.

"I don't know if I'm disappointed or angry with you," my mom sighs as she enters the kitchen and opens up a cabinet for a glass to fill with the needed wine like she usually needs during every lecture. "You're a senior, Kayson! A damn senior and yet you still act like a child."

I press my fingers on the circular dial on my camera, slowly turning it off to listen to the expected lecture and disappointment.

"What is this? What's the goal here? Is it for attention, is it to get your dad's attention?" she asked with a pleading face - she was searching for an answer she would never get.

I fixed my gaze on my camera, staring at my hardened expression through the reflection of the screen. She never brought up dad in her lectures no matter how angry or disappointed she was.

"If I wanted his attention I would've chosen him but did I?" I questioned without looking up but I knew she was in shock.

I stood up, the stool screeching against the wooden floors as I backed it up and made my way to the stairs. "That's... what I thought."

As I prepared myself for bed, my phone suddenly dings.

Ting!

Stink</3 : I'm off the hook for this one...wbu?

I typed a quick explanation telling her what just happened before she had texted me and of course, being the person she was, got scared and offered to come by but I quickly rejected the offer. I couldn't handle being with anyone tonight.

It wasn't easy to wake up that morning as the sound of my phone chirped while I was in bed instead of the alarm clock I had set five minutes before and five minutes after it was supposed to wake me.

"This better be good, Slater, or else I'm beating your ass when I see you," I drowsily said whilst rubbing my eyes and yawning.

I hear shuffling in the background as he clears his throat. "Well, uh, I lost a bet with fuckin Blondie so she had me wake you up, said something about you needing to show up to school more often instead of scheming."

I rolled my eyes at his words because I could picture it all happening. "Tell Kalle to suck it and just for that I'll show up 10 minutes late to class today."