Chapter 08 | Feelin' Like a King.

PITTER

PITTER.

PATTER.

THE RAIN WAS pouring heavily as I stepped out of my car. I quickly slam the door shut, and run to the school with my fingers crossed that this umbrella doesn't suddenly blow away. I tightened my grip on my satchel that I'd finally cleaned out after going through the five stages of grief whilst cleaning my house.

Rather than holding old Math assignments, essay drafts, and other shit, my precious bag is now only a collection of paperwork that all relate to writing.

Fall time's approach to Riverside had always been scarce of rain, but it was a bit of a blessing when it did rain. Getting away from the leaves blowing against you would be a relief but on the downside, rain, getting wet which is me right now.

I pushed open the door, closed my pocket umbrella, stuffed it in its capsule holder, and put it inside my satchel as the cold, harsh wind blew in the hallways. I noticed the Halloween committee was already decking out the hallway with Halloween decorations while Halloween is still several weeks away.

There's already a banner that says "Happy Halloween!" which is the first thing that you see when you walk in. Little lanterns were placed on the floor beside the double doors with flameless candles inside them because of fire hazards. I've heard that there have been many arson incidents inside the school.

Some lockers had signs and posters pinned on them regarding late-night Halloween drive-in events, the annual bake sale held by the Cheerleaders, and the masks-up event the week of Halloween to show some holiday spirit.

But as I walked through the halls, everything was at its norm. Jocks were throwing a football back and forth. Nerds were gathered around someone's computer looking at some new technology. Then there are the zooted kids who are stuffing their heads in their lockers thinking no one knows that they're getting buzzed.

The cliche mean girls were near "Regina's" (I keep calling her that because I have no idea what her name is) locker and they were clearly gossiping as they spoke in hushed voices and kept pointing to someone.

Their pointed fingers caught my eye and I looked at whom they were pointing at. None other than the man I've been looking forward to seeing, Uriah. He was grabbing some stuff from his locker, completely oblivious to the fact that people were pointing at him.

I approached him wearing my signature smile. "Someone's popular, how's it feel to be the talk of the town?"

Literally.

He scoffs and shuts his locker. "Feelin' like a king."

As we walked to who knows where I could feel eyes burning holes in my back because god forbid I'm talking to the supposed rich boy of Riverside High. "Soooo, you didn't feel like showing up to school the days I finally showed up?" he asks with curiosity displayed on his face.