The Lullaby

*Natasha's POV* 

We head out of the small cafe and back up to our room. I'm still annoyed at Fury for not booking two, but then I can hardly blame him, as he doesn't know about the handcuffs. Only Bruce and Steve. When we get in, Steve says he needs a shower, so I get my things from the bathroom and stay in the main room to change. I put on pajama shorts this time instead of trousers, as someone's really cranked up the heating. I'll try to keep my scars away from the eyes of Steve; I don't want questions I can't answer. 

"Can I put the radio on?" Steve calls through.

"Sure," I reply. After ten minutes the radio suddenly switches off. 

"Steve? You alright?" 

No answer. I run over to the door and force it open with my shoulder.

"Steve, are-" I am met with the sight of an almost- naked Steve Rogers. 

"Woah, Nat, what's so important you had to burst in here and encounter me like this?" he says. I back out of the doorway. He has only a towel wrapped around his waist. 

"I thought you were in trouble when you didn't answer. Sorry," I say. "I'm, uh, going for a walk."

"Okay, be careful," I hear him call back, but I don't answer. I don't know what's on my mind but there's something. I don't know why I'm upset but I am. There's something in my head that's making it feel heavy on my shoulders. What's wrong with me? As I walk quickly down the hallway I hear someone having an argument.

"Gimme my fig rolls back, you swine! My head spins if I sit up! Don't you go in there now, no!" That makes me laugh a little but I continue walking until I find the lifts. 

There's people there. Never mind.

I go to the stairwell that nobody ever uses and sit on the top step, leaning on the wall. I need to calm down but I don't know why or what from. My mind recalls an old lullaby that used to get sung to me, before the Red Room. Tili Tili Bom. I start quietly singing it to myself in Russian.

*Steve's POV*

The door shuts loudly and I hurriedly dry myself and dress. Then, barefoot, I start to follow Natasha. Not in a creepy way, I just want to make sure she's okay. There's an intense argument going down the hall about fig rolls that makes me chuckle. 

Natasha goes into the stairwell and I soon hear the faint sound of a lullaby being sung. It's not in English though, it's in Russian. My mind works out what she's saying. Tony asked us all to try and learn some Russian in case something like this happens. I did more research and learnt more than the others did, so I can make out a few sentences of what she's singing. It's an old Russian lullaby called Tili Tili Bom.

'Tili Tili Bom,
Someone's walking by the window and knocking at the door,
Tili Tili bom,

Can you hear the birds through the night?

He's already made his way into the house
For those who cannot sleep
Hear his steps he's already close,
Tili Tili Bom,
Can you hear someone next to you?
Huddled in a corner with a penetrating gaze.
Tili Tili bom,
The night will muffle everything,

He is sneaking up to you, almost got you,
Hear his steps he's already close

Tili Tili bom,
Can you hear someone next to you?
Huddled in a corner with a penetrating gaze.'
Natasha finishes. It's a damn creepy lullaby, how do Russian children sleep after that? I'd be scared out of my skin. I gently tap on the door with my knuckles.