Last Minute Rush

*the next morning*

*Natasha's POV*

I awaken to a loud knock on the door. Who is that? I get up, as Steve is clearly still asleep and I can hear Adah snoring from the bathroom, and answer the door.

"Coulson?" I say, quickly pulling on a jumper over my pajama tank top. 

"Hey, you guys ready?" he says. 

"Not exactly," I reply.

"It is early. Well, you've got fifteen minutes and then the Quinjet's leaving, so unless you're planning on swimming back to the States then I'd get a move on." 

"Yup. Will do. See you in a bit," I say, and promptly shut the door. Then, once I can hear Coulson's steps fading down the corridor, I grab a pillow and hit Steve with it, flinging the duvet off of his body. Then I hit the bathroom door multiple times and say, "Adah! Get up and pack, we've got fifteen minutes!" I hear a groan in reply and a thud; I'm guessing she hit her head on the taps. I did that a couple of times. I turn back to Steve and see that he still hasn't woken up, so I kiss him gently and his eyes flicker open.

"That woke you up," I say.

"Oh I was already awake. I was just waiting to see how else you'd wake me up," he says, a smile creeping across his face.

"You sly thing," I say. You could slice through the tension in the air, but I break it by saying, "We've got ten minutes until we've gotta be ready. So get up, you can sleep later."

"Fine," he complains like a small child, and gets up. Just then Adah comes in, surprisingly completely ready. She takes in a breath. 

"What?" Steve says. 

"Holy cow, look at you!" she says, gesturing to Steve's chest. "You're a beast!" 

"Oh. Right. Sorry, I'll put on a shirt," Steve says, and does so.

I hear Adah say under her breath, "Oh I wasn't complaining." I try not to laugh at that. 

The next five minutes are spent frantically rushing around the hotel room, stuffing all the stuff we brought in our bags, and a few extras, like the freebie shampoos and shower gels that they leave for you, and the hairdryer.

"You can't take that!" Steve exclaims when i try and shove it into my bag.

"What? Why not?"

"Yeah Steve, why not?" Adah chimes in. I give her 'the look of doom' and she shuts up.

"Because it won't fit, and I'm sure Tony's got another hairdryer back at the tower," he says. Fair point, but this one's especially good.

"Fine, I won't take it, but only because we've got two minutes until the Quinjet takes off. Let's go, go, go!" I say, and with that we run out of the hotel room, down the corridor, and out into the car park, where we get a bit stuck.

"Where's the jet?" Steve says.

"Over here," a voice says, and we follow it to the field behind, wherein the jet takes off it's cloaking device and we get on.

*time lapse to when the get to the tower*

We get out of the car at the tower, where I'm told yet another journey awaits, this time to thelab. Adah is led in to the tower by Coulson, whom we've told about her and why she's here. We made half of it up, because if we're honest there's not a good reason why she's here but we could hardly abandon her now, right?

"Do you want me to come? I don't mind," Steve says. 

"It's okay, Steve. You have a rest. I'll see you after the operation," I reply. Truth is I want himto come with me badly, to hold my hand as they put me to sleep, but that would raisesuspicions and I can't have that right now. There's too much weight on both our shoulders asit is. 

"You'll be fine Nat, these people know what they're doing," Steve reassured me, then hegives me a hug and I get in the car. Soon enough I arrive at the place Bruce calls home, andwhen I climb out of the car he's already there to greet me. 

"How are you? Was the mission a success?" he asks all at once.

"Yes, it was an interesting one though," I say, using the word interesting because I don'tknow what other word could possibly describe it. 

"Ah, Natasha! I'm Doctor Seville, it's nice to finally meet you. Come with me, we're ready tobegin," a woman says, appearing in the doorway. She offers her hand to me to shakebut I don't, I don't like that kind of thing. They did an awful lot of it back in England though onthe mission. I follow her and Bruce through corridors, until we reach a room that is straightout of a hospital. 

"We don't need you to undress, only on the bottom half," she says, and then they leave theroom. How is that 'not getting undressed'? Bruce said he wouldn't be here for the operation,so I guess I'll only see these doctors once in my life. I do as she says but take a little longerto cover up my worst scars on my legs with some concealer that I keep in a pocket. Once I'mdone, I lie down on the bed and take a deep breath. Doctor Seville comes back in. 

"Are you okay with needles?" 

"Yes," I lie. Needles are one thing I am not good with. Back at the red room, in the graduationceremony, they injected all kinds of different medication inside my veins, to make me jumphigher, heal quicker, run faster, and age slower. Sort of like a very diluted super soldierserum that Steve had. I haven't told anyone about that though, nobody knows the details ofthe red room or my past. Not even Fury's lie detector can get that out of me. A needle goesinto my forearm and I don't look, then in my head I start to count to ten. 

One, two, three... I can feel unconsciousness seeping into my mind. 

Four, five six... I try andhold on to reality but it's slipping away. 

Seven, eight... everything goes dark. 

When I wake up, a bright light is flickering above me, and I have to close my eyes again.When it doesn't stop, I reach up and angle it away from my eyes, and then sit up and lookaround. I'm on a hospital bed, in a bright white empty room, a single door opposite me. I'mdressed in one of those weird blue hospital gowns and I can see my clothes folded on achair in the corner. I get up and change into them, ignoring the aching in my legs. Just as I reach for the door handle it bursts open in my face, and Doctor Seville rushes in. 

"Natasha! You're awake! Here, take a seat for a moment, I just need to check your blood pressure and heart rate, etc," she says, and so I obey. After she's monitored me for about five minutes, I ask, "When can I go back to the Compound?"

"Oh, right away, I would imagine. But you are on strict bed rest for the rest of this week before you can go back to any kind of physical activity," Doctor Seville tells me in a stern voice. You've got to be kidding me.

A/N: Ok so next chapter will be moving on to part 2 of this story, as mentioned in the description. Sorry if I got medical terms wrong, I am terrible at science. Anyway, leave a vote and a comment if you're enjoying and have a great day/night wherever u are in the world! :)