The Hospital

a/n: this might give something away, but

Song for this Chapter: Hold On by Chord Overstreet
I'm sorry in advance

*Steve's POV* 

I put Nat in the seat of the car, and once everyone's in I ask Jarvis to drive to the hospital. 

"Nat? You alright there?" I say. 

"I'm fine. I might take a nap," she says. 

"Ok. Are you sure you're alright though?" I ask again. There's a hidden look of pain on her face, I'd recognise that anywhere. 

"I love you Steve," she says, and then closes her eyes. Five minutes later we arrive at the hospital, with Eliza sleeping in Adah's arms. 

"Nat? We're here," I say. No response. 

"Nat?" 

"Steve what's that smell? Is it the air freshener?" Adah says. "Oh my- Steve, we gotta get a doctor." Only then do I see blood dripping out from under Natasha's dress onto the seat and onto the floor. Her face is pale. 

"Natasha!" Still no response. "Adah, go and get someone - anyone - to come and help. I'll get her out of the car. Take Eliza with you!" I say, and Adah nimbly gets out and runs into the hospital, somehow still keeping Eliza asleep. I scoop Nat up into my arms and run to the hospital, ignoring the trail of blood that we leave behind. 

"Someone help, please! Anyone!" I shout, and eventually someone comes rushing towards me with a bed. 

"Put her on this," they say. 

"How long has she been bleeding? When was the child born?" 

"I don't know. Maybe ten minutes. Eliza was born about an hour ago, ish. There's someone who can tell you more details though," I say.

"Steve! Take Eliza, I can answer his questions," Adah says, and I take Eliza from her. The doctor starts to wheel the bed quickly down the corridor and through numerous doors, and I run quickly after it, holding Nat's hand. 

"Excuse me sir, we are going to have to ask you to leave now," the doctor says. 

"No, I'm staying. I don't care what you say. I'm Captain America," I tell him. 

"Captain, we can't let you in. Only direct family allowed. Are you closely related?" 

"Yes. I'm her fiancé," I lie. If it's not true now then it will be soon. Hopefully. Maybe. 

"Okay, but the child can't come," he says. Other doctors and nurses have taken the bed into a brightly lit room. 

"Adah? Please, don't let anyone take her from you. No matter what they say, show them this," I say, handing her my badge to show I'm an Avenger, that Tony had made. 

"I won't let you down Steve. Now go and be with her," Adah says. She walks off holdingEliza, whilst I go into the room and sit beside Natasha whilst doctors and nurses operate on her private parts. I want to cry but I want to stay strong for Natasha. I hold her hand tightly with both of mine. 

Time passes but I don't feel it.

Doctors speak but I don't hear them. 

All I feel is pain. 

Pain for Natasha.After a while a hand is placed on my shoulder and a voice says, "Sir, come with me. I need to speak with you." I kiss Nat's forehead and then go unwillingly with him, back into the corridor. "Sir, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this," he says. 

"Just spit it out," I say angrily. 

"Ok. Your fiancé is in a medically induced coma. She's lost a lot of blood, and there's an infection. I'm sorry sir, we'll have to keep her in the coma until she is stable" he says. 

"What? No! You're lying!" I say. 

"I'm afraid not," the doctor says. "If you'll excuse me." I feel like punching something,anything. I need to find Adah. When I spot her in the lobby she looks panicked and close to tears.

"Steve! What's happened? Is everything okay? She's been crying for ten minutes, please help," she says. 

"She's in a coma. Wanda will help. Take the car," I say, before kissing Eliza's cheek and running out of the hospital and down the street. I hear the car start and see it driving at full speed towards the Avengers Tower but I don't follow it. 

Instead I keep running, out towards where I know there's a forest. Even though I'm in just a shirt and jeans and the wind is cold, I ignore it. And when the rain starts drizzling and gradually pouring, I ignore it. I reach the forest, and then I just start punching a tree. The bark is hard and cuts my knuckles but I don't care. There's so much anger inside me. Why does she have to be in a coma? Will she wake up? Why her? Why not me? I let it all out on this tree as the rain comes lashing down in sheets. It stings and it hurts but I don't feel the pain. I should've seen that she was in pain.Should've noticed she was bleeding. The last words she said was that she loved me. And I didn't say them back. Why? Why? 

"Steve," a voice says from behind me. 

"Leave me be," I snap back, only punching the tree harder. 

"Steve!" the voice says louder. 

"I said leave me alone!" I shout. 

"Not until you come back, Steve," they say. I turn around and see Adah standing there in the pouring rain. Her face is tear stained and desperate. "Please?" I walk towards her and hug her. Tears are pouring down my face. 

"Thank you so much Adah. You have no idea how grateful I am." 

"It's because of you guys that I'm here. Now come with me, the guys have made you soup,"she says, and takes my hand. "Also, you're like a dad to me. Please don't go." Her voice breaks mid sentence but she just swallows and leads me to the car, where we get in and drive back to the tower. When we get there she goes a different way and I go to my room,where I find a bowl of soup waiting for me. I sit in the corner though, alone, because I don't feel hungry or thirsty. I don't feel anything right now. Except pain. 

I leave the soup and go to Natasha's room, where I find a small bag to pack her things into if she wakes up.If.I pack her toothbrush, her hairbrush, some makeup things I've seen her use, and some nice clothes. Then I bury my face in her pillow. Her scent is familiar but it fades quickly.

a/n: I'm sorry. I hope you have something to punch right now because I'd rather it not be my face.