ɴɪɴᴇ

"Ariana? Why don't you apply to be a flight attendant? The girls there are very beautiful. Look at their hair! You would look so beautiful with that style." Lucinda Reids, Ariana's mom's friend who also claimed to be Ariana's godmother. Lucinda took good care of Ariana, but she was always trying to find Ariana a job that Ariana didn't want.

"Or you can work over by that nightclub? They have fantastic dresses, the more men you draw in the more money you get. Wouldn't that be nice?" Lucinda asked, looking at her goddaughter with a smile. Ariana rolled her eyes as she continued to do her homework. "I don't want a man, aunt Lucinda. I would rather stay single."

Lucinda gasped. "Well what kind of woman would want to be single? Don't you like the idea of staying home and cooking and cleaning and taking care of your husband?" Lucinda asked and Ariana shook her head. "I want to become a doctor, aunt Lucinda." Lucinda groaned and rolled her eyes as she began to look through her magazine again.

"I just don't see it, Ariana. How would you want to become a doctor when there is so much more to do than- that? I knew you should've just stayed with me when your mother got sick. You wouldn't have these abnormal thoughts if it weren't for taking care of your mother." Ariana slammed her pencil down making Lucinda jump, "taking care of someone is not abnormal, aunt Lucinda! It's called caring for someone!" Ariana fought.

"Exactly, and you can care for your husband. The husband goes out and makes the money, dear. Not you." Ariana sighed, "you don't get it, aunt Lucinda. I don't want to take care of someone that could take care of themselves! I want to take care of someone who actually needs my help. A man can learn how to cook, clean and wash his clothes himself. He doesn't need a maid to do so." Ariana explained.

"Can't you see it? Women are basically slaves for their husbands. We're forced to wear skirts and dresses and wear our hair a certain way and stay at home with the kids or go do errands. We don't get to go to bars or have a normal job because we are known as useless. And even if we do get a job, our pay isn't equal to mans! I'm tired of living the life of a regular woman, I want to create a movement. I want to be different. I want to be brave." Ariana explained.

"Well," Lucinda lit a cigarette, "I may not be okay with everything you said, but I'll always support you. It's the least I could do." Ariana smiled and continued to do her homework. She felt a little bit more confident now.

———

Ariana woke up the next day feeling extremely sore. She checked her arms to see what looked like cuts from a knife. She looked at the floor to see Briar sitting there, silently crying. She didn't want to hurt Ariana. She really liked Ariana. She was scared that Ariana was going to leave her.

"I'm sorry." Briar said in between her tears making Ariana frown. She slowly got out of the bed and sat down next to Briar. "Hey hey, no need to cry. It's alright, I'm okay, see?" Ariana said but it only mad Briar cry more. She threw her hands around Ariana and cried into her shoulder.

"P-please don't l-leave ma-mama!" Briar stuttered making Ariana's heart shatter. Ariana swayed back and forth with Briar in her arms. She ran her fingers through Briar's hair and gently sung to her. Things were getting much more deep, but that's what Ariana wanted. She wanted a connection with Briar.

———

"You spent the night with her even though I gave you specific directions not to do so? What the hell is wrong with you, Grande?!" Dr. Benjamin yelled.

"Briar is getting hurt by her demons, Doctor! I couldn't stand seeing her so hurt!!" Ariana fought back, "shes defenseless! She has nothing and no one to protect her when this stuff happens!! I'm her doctor, it's my job to keep her safe." Dr. Benjamin sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Im glad you are determined to help her, Ariana. And I don't mind you staying the night here, but I need you to do it outside Briar's cell. In the back of the hospital there are dorms where you can stay. Their free and you can stay in them however long you want. Just please do not do what you did last night."

Ariana smiled, "thank you very much Dr. Benjamin." She grabbed his hand and shook it. Ariana then left the office, a determined smile on her face.

Before she could get any further, someone stopped her. She looked up to see it was Dr. Gomez.

"Oh hello, Dalton." Dalton smiled, "hey Ariana. I wanted to ask you something..." Dalton bit his lip and stuffed his hands in his pockets, a light blush overcame his cheeks as if he was a middle school boy who was about to ask his crush out.

"Sure," Ariana shrugged, "go ahead."

"I was wondering if you would like to, uhm, go out to lunch with me? It's all on me." Dalton asked. Ariana smiled, "sure. As long as I get to pick the place." Dalton nodded, "of course you can! I'm okay with any place, I'm not a picky eater, I promise." Ariana smiled, "good. I'll see you at 12 o'clock then."

"See you then." Dalton watched as Ariana walked off. He didn't pumped the air, extremely happy that he finally asked Ariana out. Even if it wasn't on a date, it seemed like it.