ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ

"Santa baby, hurry down the chimney tonight," Millie finished off while wiping the sweat off of Briar's forehead before giving her a kiss. It had been a month since she's been here and she's seen that Briar has been coming down with a sickness. Ariana has noticed this too and it has been effecting both her and Briar.

Ariana watched from afar, not wanting to get close to Briar and not because she was sick, but because she was scared that she would be the last thing Briar would see.

But Briar didn't want Millie. She wanted Ariana. She wanted her mom. Deep down in Ariana's eyes, Briar could see her mother. She would try to say something to Ariana, but her voice was weak. She was weak. She couldn't stand up, she couldn't sit up and she couldn't talk. Only a small breath came from her mouth and no one could hear what she was saying, but could see the pain on her face.

"Briar, hunny, you have to eat." Briar slowly shook her head. "N..o..." she whispered in a scratchy voice before weakly pointing at Ariana. "Mommy..." she whispered. Millie's face hardened at those words. "She's not your mother, Briar so stop calling her that!" Millie finally snapped making Ariana and Briar jump a bit. "No one can replace my sister and no one can replace your mother, got that?!"

"Millie, maybe you should leave. Take a break perhaps?" Millie slammed the wet cloth she was using to cool down Briar on the bed. "Take a break?! She's my niece! My family!! I'm suppose to be taking care of her, not you!" Millie yelled. Ariana sighed. "Millie, she is legally my patient so I need to take care of her. You're gonna have to leave." Ariana calmly demanded. Millie took an angry deep breath in then out, "I'm not leaving."

"Millie, I'm going to be honest with you; you are the biggest liar ever. You said that you were gonna love her and save her from this place as soon as you can. She is 24 years old now, Millie. There is no need for you to care for her any longer. I'm surprised she hasn't forgotten about you yet." Millie gasped. "How dare you!" Millie jumped up from her chair and pushed Ariana making her stumble back a bit. She was expecting Ariana to hit her or push her back but Ariana kept still.

"Millie, I think it's best if you leave. Maybe you should get some food or something. All this hunger is making you angry and needy." Ariana said. Millie thought for a second and Ariana was right. Millie was quite hungry and she has noticed how needy she had become. She sighed and nodded her head. "Alright then. I'll be at the diner." She said and left.

As soon as she left, Ariana closed the door to Briars room and walked up to her. She sat in the chair Millie was sitting in and picked up the wet cloth. She then dabbed Briar's forehead with it. Briar groaned in slight pain making Ariana frown. "I know, I know... my poor little baby. All sick and stuff." Ariana sighed and thought of something to do. She needed to help Briar because she knew this sickness was bad, and she could possibly die from it. And Ariana has never lost a patient. Plus, loosing Briar would be like loosing a child.

"We're gonna get you going again, Bri. I promise you." Ariana bent down and gently kissed Briar on the forehead, letting her lips linger there for a bit before pulling away. Tears glossed over her eyes as she saw Briar's eyes flutter shut. "Please please please do something!" Ariana cried out to Briar's demons before resting her head on Briar's stomach and holding Briar's cold hand. "I can't lose my baby!"

The room went silent after that, the only sound you could hear being Ariana constant cries until whispers could be heard throughout the room. The whispers started off small and quiet before the got quicker, louder and more forceful. Ariana lifted her head and looked around the room. For the first time being scared of what was to come while with Briar.

Her snapped back to Briar as soon as she heard Briar gasp and sit up in bed. She was covered in a cold sweat and by looking at her face, Ariana could tell that she was scared.

"Briar? Briar hunny, look at me..." Ariana put her hands on Briars cheeks and turned her face to look at her. Briar's eyes widened before she threw herself on Ariana and began to cry. "mommy!!" Ariana rubbed Briar's back and gently shushed her to try and get Briar to calm down.

Ariana closed her eyes, "it's alright, baby," she whispered in Briar's ear before opening her eyes again. This time they weren't her usual brown eyes that looked like Briar's favorite chocolate.

They were a caramel color.

"Mommy's here."