002: Mutiny

Ok.. this is it.. I'm starting a fucking mutiny..

Clutching onto the strap of your bag with one hand and the other shoved into your trouser pocket, you swipe your administration card at the register and scurry to your little box office that had the words inscribed,

Manager : Space Studies.

You were the manager for the study of existing objects in space and providing more details about them, and you would hand out assignments to the trainees that would develop and increase their knowledge about the wonders of space.

Setting your bag down, you pick up the landline and dial the meeting agent's number.

"Mrs. Kang? It's Jiyoo here.. Yes, I'm doing great! Could you please set up a meeting with us and the board?... Ok, let me know when they set a timing.. thank you."

You place the phone into its holder, groaning while rubbing your temples.

I shouldn't have eaten that much ice cream last night..

You pick up the phone again, dialing a number.

"Jake! Hello.."

"I know you want something. What is it?"

"You know me too well, can you please get me a coffee?"

"It feels like I'm your personal assistant, not your assistant manager."

"Thank you!" You sing into the phone, slamming it down into its holder before putting your legs up on the table, crossing it one over the other.

A few minutes later, a knock is heard on your door.

"Come in."

Jake opens the door, holding a paper cup that you expected was your coffee. Placing it on the table next to your feet, he scoffs and rests his hands on his hips.

"What next, my queen?"

You pull your legs away and pick up the cup, taking a sip and leaning forward. Completely disregarding his comment, your face goes serious and you say in a low voice.

"Look, I've asked Mrs. Kang to set up a board mee-"

"You actually did that?! Y-you're crazy Jiyoo! We might lose our jobs if we oppose-"

"Nobody is losing their jobs. There is no set timing yet, but if we get all the students on our side, then we might have a chance. We can portray it in the name of..." You trail off, looking at the ceiling, searching for the right words. "Umm.."

"Exploration." Jake says with a raised eyebrow.

"Of course.." You say, rolling your eyes.

"The right to know?"

"No!" You say, looking at him in disgust. "That doesn't even make any sense.."

He pauses for a moment before sending you a sly smirk.

"...Investigation?"

You glance at him before shaking your head.

"No.."

"Yahhhh, that was it!"

"Since when are you a grammar expert?" You whine, eyeing him before throwing the cup into the dustbin.

He shrugs, pulling a chair and sitting opposite you on the other side of the desk.

"Are you sure about this? How are you going to convince the students."

"Oh, don't worry. I have just the technique.." You say, curling your hair and oozing with confidence.

*~°~*~°~*~°~*~°~*

"So.. how many of you have heard of our new neighbor?"

All the students raise their hands and a 19 year old skinny boy stands up. Pushing his glasses up towards the bridge of his nose, he stutters.

"W-w-why aren't we a-allowed t-to go up the-ere?"

"J-J-just sit t-t-the f-fuck down!" Dawson taunts him, while folding his arms and everyone else giggles.

You smirk. This is just the question you've been waiting for.

Pushing your lower lip out, you walk around your desk, trailing your fingers along the dark wood.

"Well, unfortunately we have an opposition from old man georgie, I'm sure all of you know of him. Due to the unpleasant previous encounter with us and the organisms on that planet, he has.. advised us and the board to overlook any plans regarding visiting it."

Like a heavy cloak that falls to the floor, everyone's expressions change as they slump into their chairs. Some ruffling their hair and some just sighing in disappointment. These students were your exploration and investigation squad. Of course, they had to be 18 years of age and older to be part of it.

Besides Earth's Moon, Mars and a few other newfound planets, they haven't been able to explore anything else for over a year and they felt deprived. Upon hearing news of the new planet, their hearts had jumped in joy, that they would be the ones to step foot on it and discover new things. To hear this only shattered their hopes, but they didn't know you were going to help them.

Seeing their sullen faces, your heart sank as you spoke up.

"Now, now, enough with all the clouds of sadness. I'm here to help."

"In what possible way could you help?" A boy from the back of the class speaks up. You roll your eyes.

Dawson the punk..

"I am going to get myself and you guys on that planet, and I know how."

Everyone sits up and their disappointment begins to mold and take the shape of curiosity. You smile, crossing your arms and leaning against your desk.

"Here's what we're going to do.."