009: Deception

"There are two suits left. Take this one."

You say, handing the dark brown suit over to Mia who discards her torn one. The sun began to dip, and the sky turned a deep shade of purple, one that matched with the rich hue of the soil beneath them.

You gaze up at the sky in awe as Mia ties her hair up into a tight bun.

"Jiyoo.. what if we don't find them?"

She asks, her eyes glued to the floor. You turn to her with furrowed eyebrows, leaning against the window.

"We will find them."

"I mean, what if they are d-"

She purses her lips together, turning away as the word refuses to leave her mouth. You droop your head as your heart clenches at the thought.

"I'd never forgive myself if that happens, but we don't know that yet. So while we have the chance, let's get them back."

You say, placing a hand on her shoulder, caressing it.

"You know I love him, right?" Mia mutters, and you chuckle, shaking your head.

"You made it so obvious. I'm sure he would've picked it up with his big brain."

Mia nibbles on her lower lip as she puts on her helmet. Determination now graced her petite face, and you clap your hands to hype yourselves up before grabbing your weapons.

"Don't stray out of my sight."

You say, slowly stepping out of the safety of your ship before closing the hatch.

The setting sun bathed the land in its purple glow, and shed a whole new spectrum of the area before them. Just as it was in the beginning, an eerie silence flows through the paths of the forest. The trees creak and the wind rustles the leaves that lay on the soft forest bed.

With your large guns held up in front of you, the two of you tread back to the river where Namjoon and Jake were taken. The journey was surprisingly steady and there were no encounters with the mysterious creature.

The torches on your guns lit up the way, and Mia guides her light to where the tracks once were.

"They're gone."

"Fuck. Should we search in the direction they were taken?"

You ask, pointing to the bushes. Mia hesitantly stares ahead before nodding. All of a sudden, a revolting scream echoes through the air, and you startle as Mia turns to you with wide eyes.

"That was Joon. I'd recognize his voice anywhere."

Without waiting for a reply, she begins running into the bushes. You yell, running after her.

"Mia, wait!"

Another higher pitched scream resonates in the forest, and you pick up your pace, recognizing the voice.

Jake.

You catch up with Mia, who now had tears streaming down her face as she ran.