004 : Victory

The thunder of footsteps fills the research lab of the academy as everyone cheers and shouts in victory.

"Ok, ok, calm down now! We don't want to get in trouble.." you state with a large smile, inwardly screaming like them. Their cheers die down as Jake nudges you, leaning towards your ear in a whisper.

"Not bad, you managed to get almost every board member on your side." You smile, shoving your hands in your pockets.
"What can I say? I'm irresistible!"
He chuckles, shaking his head as a student perks up.
"When will we be reporting to this mission?"

"Not anytime soon, unfortunately."
Everybody groans and kicks the floor as you exclaim.
"Just kidding!"
Yells and balls of crushed paper flew your way as you laugh, accepting your punishment. Your students were extremely open with you, since you were their age but still being a manager, they kept their respect to a level.

"After your training, we'll leave in a month to the space station."
Everybody cheers as you smile, clasping your hands in front of yourself.
"And please, take your training seriously. It's extremely crucial."
"We know! We've done missions before.."

"I know that, but it's been a long time and we don't want Namjoon almost setting fire to the station like last time, do we?"
Everyone chuckles, glancing at Namjoon who pushes his glasses up, sinking into his seat.
You clap your hands, saying,
"Alright! You can return back home and celebrate, your training starts from tomorrow."

With fists in the air and their moods soaring, the bunch of students pack their bags and skip out of the classroom, with some already inviting others to a planned party.
After everyone leaves, you slink into your chair, spinning around in it with a sigh of relief.
"Finally!"

Jake smiles, leaning against the table, tapping his finger against it.
"I wonder what it will be like."
You gaze up at him with a small smile.
"Me too.. I've never been more excited in my life. I don't know why, but I have this feeling that something big is going to happen with this mission."
He raises his eyebrow,
"Is that good or bad?"
"I'm yet to figure that out.." you say, eyes travelling outside the window and into the blue sky above.

Walking out with Jake, you jump as a figure abruptly turns a corner, standing in front of the two of you.
"Mr. George! Y-you scared us!"
You exclaim, placing your hand on your heaving chest.
He looked anything but cheery as his hunched form and sharp wrinkled eyes bore holes through the both of you.

"Do you think you've achieved anything by this meeting?" He growls, leaning towards you.
"Um.. I-"
"You'll regret doing this. I warned you, and yet you went against it, now putting yourselves and your entire class in danger."
"What danger?"
You ask, confused at his sudden outburst.

"I told you that this planet was unsafe. I told you to throw away any thoughts of visiting it, and here you go against my decision, convincing the board to change their minds, which you've successfully accomplished!"
The steady rise in his voice sends a burning feeling through your chest, as you reply.
"I'm sorry, but that was a long time ago. You don't know if anything about the planet has changed!"
"Exactly. Even more so, for you to cancel this absurd mission."

"I don't think I'm going to throw away this opportunity over the word of an old man who visited the planet 50 years ago, claiming that it's still unsafe. You have no proof."
"Blood will be on your hands if you go through with this!" He yells as you and Jake walk past him in a hurry.

Jake gulps, glancing back at the man who storms away down the corridor.
"What if he's right?"
He asks you, almost in a whisper.
"And what if he isn't?" You reply, stubborn.
"Jiyoo, please! Be realistic. There's always two sides to a coin, and right now we're taking a gamble with this toss in the dark."
You stop abruptly, turning to him in a huff.
"If you don't want to join us, so be it. But I'm not throwing this opportunity away. Not now, not ever."

"That's not the point!" He raises his voice as people in the street glance at the two of you while passing by.
You grind your teeth.
"Jake, do you trust me?"
"Yes-"
"Then you'll do what I say."
You order, the manager in you surfacing.
He opens and closes his mouth, not knowing what to say to your demanding statement.

You sigh, running your hands through your hair.
"S-sorry.. this is all too stressful.."
You say softly as he sighs, putting a hand on your shoulder.
"I understand. I'm just cautioning you, Jiyoo-ah.. no planet is safe. Not even ours."
"I know, and I'm prepared to take those risks! They're trained for a reason."

He nods in silence, shoving his hands in his pockets before asking,
"C-can I stay over tonight?"
You glance at him in sympathy before putting a hand around his shoulder and patting it.
"Sure, but my parents are home. Are you alright with that?"
He nods immediately with a large smile and a bounce.
"Of course!"

"Just be prepared for a load of questions.. they'll bombard you with everything possible." you trail off, rolling your eyes. He chuckles, and you continue.
"Anyways, how's things at home?"
You say, choosing careful words.
He scratched the back of his neck, replying.
"Um, alright I guess.."
You nod, not wanting to tap into a sensitive place.

You knew things weren't alright with him at home, he didn't need to tell you for you to figure it out. The eager questions like clockwork everyday proved that he wasn't fine, and this was the least you could do to help him.

You smile as the apartment complex comes into view and you turn to him, hands folded.
"Brace yourself."