005: Launch

Time Skip: Launch Day.

The buzz and flashes of cameras and clicking sounds filled the air as the four of us stand inside a building, as the rocket in the far view stands tall.

At the moment, the four of you were in an interview. The space institute of Korea had collaborated with NASA on this mission, just like all the others. Out of everyone, the most successful people in training were chosen for the mission; Jake, Namjoon, Mia and you.

Surprisingly even though Namjoon almost set the station on fire last time, his training abilities seem to have rapidly improved, provided he keeps his clumsiness under control. He was the technological helper, Mia was the weapons expert, whereas Jake and you were science nerds and historical geeks, a.k.a the explorers of the group.

You were in your suit, inwardly complaining about how hot it was. Everyone answered the questions thrown at them by the press, but a certain one stood out.

"We are aware of your previous encounter with the planet by an... old friend of mine. Are you sure that this mission is the right choice?"
The others were left speechless as they looked at each other in shock. Grinding your teeth, you speak up.

"I'm in charge of this mission, and as an answer to you question, Yes. This mission is the right choice in my eyes and every faculty member of the Korean Astronomy and Space Science Institute. The entire mission will not be cancelled based on one downfall that happened, nevertheless the fact that it was 50 years ago. Heck, we would've never made it past our goddamn moon if we gave up after one failure!"

You abruptly turn of your microphone, leaning back in your seat with your arms folded as the others glance at you, trying to control their smile. The reporter nods in silence, scribbling something down into a notepad before sitting back down with a salty face.

When you ask dumb questions, I'll give you answers that you deserve.

You think as the guards come in, concluding the meeting and the reporters stand up, all of them shouting the remainder of their questions to no avail as the four of you scurry out of the room in relief.

"Who knew they would be such blood-sucking organisms? They should be living on another planet." Mia says, annoyed.
"I know." You say, rolling your eyes.
"Ms. Kwon! I love your savage siiiide!!"
Namjoon says, playfully punching your shoulders as you crack a smile.
"That's her real side." Jake mumbles, loud enough for everyone to hear as you pinch his arm.

*•°•*•°•*•°•*•°•*

The four of us squeezed our hands together as we sat inside the cockpit, waiting for the launch sequence to initiate.

This wasn't your first time traveling to the space station. In fact, it was your fourth. You had been on almost every planet expedition including existing and newfound ones. The teams trusted you and so did the board, hence their easy acceptance to your offer.

"Are you guys ready?"
You hear Mia's muffled voice through your microphone.
"Hell yeah."
Namjoon says, fist out.
"It's getting really hot in here.."
Jake says, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as you burst out laughing.
"If you find being on the ground hot, you'll be a puddle by the time we're out of the atmosphere."
You exclaim as the others giggle.

Even though there were jokes thrown around, you could see their nervous postures and unsteady breathing followed by uncomfortable shifting around in their seats.
"Look, guys, just remember your training and stay focused. We don't know the environment of the planet we're stepping into. So we won't know if it's breathable for us or not. We might find other life, heck, even civilizations living on that planet. We have to adapt and stay low on the radar, got me? You guys are some of the most experienced here, besides Jake."
You say, in order to get their hopes up a little while Jake hits you from the side.

"Thank you Ms. Kwon. You stay safe too."
Mia replies, patting your gloved hand.
You smile but before you could reply, the speaker in your helmets sound as an automated voice spoke.
"Launching sequence will start soon. Please fasten your seatbelts."
Everyone buckles in tight and takes a deep breath before speaking.
"We're ready." You say.

I hope I am..

You tried to stay strong for your students, but deep down you too were nervous and afraid, just like them.
"Launching sequence initiated.
T- minus  10, 9, 8...

Everybody holds on tight to each others hands and squeezes their eyes shut, taking deep breaths for what's about to come.

...3, 2, 1. Lift off."

A/N: Hellooo! I know these chapters are short, but I have things figured out so don't worry! Longer chapters will be given in the next ones 😉

Also, please do let me know how the story is going for you guys! It's a new theme for me so I'm quite excited about it. I hope you like it as much as I do!

Yours hoefully,
Kim 😊