Sparrow!Norton x reader || fluff

requested by my good friend on idv :)

Taking your most recent earnings, you divided out two amounts: savings and spending. Small coins clinked against each other as you placed the stack with the higher amount in a small box to be stored under your bed. The other pile, still laying on the floor, was to be spent at the market the following morning. You placed the stack in a pocket-sized drawstring bag, a gift passed down to you from your guardian. Looking at the golden strands woven into the red and black fabric, you remember what your mother told you about the bag. She told you that her mother's mother made it for a rich aristocrat, and how before she could finish, she was killed by the same man. The bag then was passed to her daughter, then your mother, then to you. She told you that she couldn't leave you with an inheritance, but when you needed it, the golden sack would be your saving grace. You always assumed that meant that when you could not afford to live, selling the bag would provide you with enough to get back on your feet. You missed your mother, and you, having the only physical remembrance of her being the bag, vowed to work everyday of your life to never have to lose it. Your strong will paid off. You wouldn't consider yourself rich, but you lived comfortably, coming home to a warm house after a long day of working in the middle of winter.

Despite it being late in the evening, you did not go to bed. Instead, you continued to work on a project of yours you started at the beginning of the season, hoping to finish, as signs of morning snow were noticeable throughout the night. you made significant progress on the overcoat you were hoping to be done with by morning, but you settled for finishing it the next night. You slipped into your nightwear and let yourself sleep.

You woke in the morning to a flurry of soft, white particles brushing against your window. The snow piled up during the night, leaving the ground padded with a powdery cushion of cold. Your bed, warm from the layer of blankets, kept you from moving. You wanted to stay indoors, shielded from the soon-to-be harsh winter snowstorm, but if you didn't get out soon, you would be without food until the snow cleared, a situation you did not want to be in. So, you bundled up and made your way to the center of town, taking with you your family coin purse.

You were met with an astounding sight as you walked up to where you needed to be. The lady you had only heard of from the conversations of others, an aristocrat with eyes all over the city. Underneath her, kneeling in the snow, a boy no older than you groveled, her heel threatening his head to be pushed further. There was nothing anyone could do but watch. When it seemed she had enough, the lady turned and left, leaving the boy to fend for himself in the cold as everyone else went about their business. You approached the boy, the telling sign of tears poised at the edge of his eyes, but not yet hurt enough to let them fall. He took the hand you held out for him, standing up and looking you in the eyes. You moved to brush the unformed tears from his eyes. He let you. In silence, you took his hand again, leading him to each place you needed to shop from. Hands full, you went to one last place, a noodle shop perfect for eating in the cold weather. As the two of you sat to eat, you finally started conversation.

"What happened with that lady, and I should've asked if you're alright." Your voice was light-hearted, trying to not create any tension, but you were sure the concern on your face was obvious. He took a moment to reply after taking a large bite from his bowl.

"I'm alright, thank you." He didn't answer your other question, but you weren't going to force him to. You hand him a bag, one he recognizes from your earlier shopping. "What is this?" He wondered, his hands touching it lightly, but not daring to look inside. He looked wary of it.

"Don't worry," you start, pausing to finish a bite, "I just bought a few extra things for you, the same as what I have." Truly, you bought more food than you would have, going slightly over budget to ensure the health of the boy you just met. He thanked you again, and again after he finished his meal. Then, he left.