platonic Robbie x gn!Reader

There was a whisper around the Hunter's side of the manor. A rumor that passed through the ears of each person. A new survivor was to be introduced. Along with the whispers, there were arguments as to who would be the first to go up against this unknown person. As all the hunters gathered in the commons, still unsure over who was going to participate and be the first to learn about this new survivor, a small voice spoke up.

"Could I try?" The room went silent as all eyes shifted to the boy that no one could say no to. As angry as some of the more experienced survivors were, they looked away in guilt. No one had ever let Robbie be the first to go against a new survivor. His desperate plea softened the hearts of the so-called hunters, and they gave in, only after ensuring that he would describe in detail the survivor's ability, habits, and role. He agreed and was sent off to begin his match.

"Remember what we told you, (y/n)?" The doctor confirmed with the new addition to their team. They nodded with confidence and waited for the rest to arrive. No one could tell who the hunter was, so before the match began everyone quickly ran through what they should do for the most common hunters. No one told them what to do about a certain boy who carries an axe. The match started, and the team was split up. Eli, Fiona, Emily, and (y/n). They found themselves in what seemed to be a corner of a mostly grey map with a few breakable walls, and a cipher machine. They began to work on the cipher machine, every once in a while letting their teammates know of their progress, when the sudden pounding of a heart caused them to freeze in fear.

"Sorry." The seer whispered as the Axe Boy switched targets from him to the new survivor. They nodded in Eli's direction, a sign for him to continue working on their cipher, and took the responsibility of keeping the hunter's attention. As they looped through the broken down walls, occasionally pulling down a pallet, they became out of breath. When they realized they couldn't hold out much longer with this boy close on their tail, three ciphers popped. This event caused the boy to be momentarily distracted from his task, and he tripped, colliding with the harsh ground and scraping his knees on the nearby rocks. It took a moment for the survivor to realize they were no longer being chased. Stopped by sniffling coming from behind them, they back tracked to the boy who was holding his knee and letting the tears run down his cheeks.

"Hey, it's ok. It's ok." They held the boy close, letting him cry and comforting him. As he sobbed into their shoulder, they brought their hand to his back, drawing little patterns as something for him to focus on instead of the pain in his knee. They noticed the number of ciphers went from two to one by the time that they had calmed the boy down, but they felt as if the boy would be even more stressed by the fact that all the ciphers had been completed and he had not even harmed a single survivor, so they politely asked their teammates if they could refrain from decoding as they talked to the boy.

"They're gonna get mad at me." He whimpered as he removed himself from the survivor kneeled before him. They waited for him to elaborate. "I'm supposed to," he sniffles mid-sentence, "to get you. The adults wanted me to get information about you and win." The survivor contemplated what to do. On one hand, they could leave with the hunters still unaware of how they played. On the other hand, surely the little boy in front of them would be in trouble and feel even worse if he wasn't useful to the other hunters.

"I'll tell you what," they began, suddenly taking note of the now red eyes of the boy, "I'll show you my ability, and I'll let you get me out. In return, you're going to help me practice. Does that sound fair?" The boy, no longer crying, nodded with excitement. Before they began their practice, he asked them a question.

"I'm Robbie, what's your name?"

"(y/n)." They smiled down at him, reaching for his tiny hand. "It's nice to meet you, Robbie" Instead of shaking their hand, Robbie grabbed it with force and led them to an open area so they could discover their ability. Both of them thought the other survivors left, but Emily and Eli showed up behind them.