Chapter Six: "Something greater, brighter"

Mon-el was tired. The night was still young, the sky was not fully black, but lights were starting to be turned on around him. After the Kryptonian woman had left several hours before, he smoked at least half of his packet, danced with females from all over the planet and got criticised by his mother at least half of a dozen times. For his choice in dance partners, for smoking so proudly in public, for sitting at the same table all night and from time to time with a sketchbook in hands.

His mother didn't like his choice in partners, them being either women or men, nor his hobbies. He knew that his father's death had changed her game plan and him being on the throne did her not as much good as she would've wanted, but even though she was no longer head of state, she still had a big role in leading it.

He danced with more women of rich lineage than he usually did. Ignored their comments about him smelling awful and that a king should not smoke, that it could ruin his health and even his image.

When the clock struck midnight he was between two bodies, one rich brown and curvy and the other white as milk and muscular. His suit was a mess, clothes were everywhere and a smell of drugs and smoke filled the air.

He spent the first night of officially being The King of Daxam between sweating bodies, being kissed everywhere and worshipped like a god. But the morning found him alone in his bed, a cat with striped black fur and turquoise eyes crying and ripping his bedsheets out of boredom and need of attention. Alistair jumped off the bed, once its owner was walking around the room, looking for clothes to change into. The cat was still meowing while circling his legs.

"Calm down a little, I will feed you once I am at least half-decent." He looked in the mirror and noticed that he was a mess and smelled like spoiled food. He aimed for the bathroom when the world started spinning. The hangover finally hit him. He felt like he was going to vomit right in the middle of his walk-in closet, absolutely naked.

"Owwww. This room smells like a cow popped in here. Mon-El, what did you do?" a male voice disturbed his head even more.

"Don't be so dramatic, Winn. He just smoked and had sex... multiple times. Does anything shock you at this point?" a female voice responded.

"Well... I think he would be shocked to know what was on his desk this morning when I walked in his grand new office." Winn added in a fake humoured tone. Mon-El ignored them and walked into the bathroom, right under the streaming water of the shower.

When he came out, now partially clothed in dark pants, barefoot with a towel in hand, he went to greet his very chatty friends. He eyed the clock on his nightstand, which read not so much later than one in the afternoon. The hour might suggest that he had slept a lot last night, but his memory of the sunlight coming through the window would say otherwise.

"And our handsome king is alive!" his tired eyes met her chocolate ones. Iris was practically a living fire under the sunlight of Rao. Her orange dress with a bow at the waist reached her knees. The collarbone looked similar to one of a shirt and it revealed more skin under her neck, which was adorned with a couple of necklaces of different lengths and metals: gold, silver. She wore a pair of golden ballerina flats and her brown hair was only kept half up by a golden hairpin, while the other half was let loose and had two slim braids framing her round, chocolate face.

Winn, by her right side, had bright skin, slightly tanned from spending lots of hours under the sun and wore a deep wine red uniform with weird golden designs on his upper chest and shoulders. He was the Head of Security and has been by Mon-El's side for years.

"What kind of animal did you have the pleasure of feasting on this time, my king?" Iris asked while giving him a half bow and had her bright and beautiful smile on. Winn just looked at her and then gave Mon-el the look. She is not in her right mind and nor are you.