Chapter Five: "Golden Red and Ice"

The sound of water droplets hitting the tile filled the whole bathroom. Through the warm thick fog, the shadow of a moving body could be seen. Arms were supporting it against the tiled wall and the once bright blonde haired head was under the water.

She straightened her back and brought her palms over her face. Now fully placed under the pouring, she had her head tilted upwards and water covered her face. She sighed and reached for the sponge, put some soap on it, and began to clean herself. The dust that once was at the bottom of her legs got cleaned and in its trace bubbles were left, a move that soothed the Kryptonian female. While washing her hair with shampoo, her head was blank. She felt kind of relieved that in that bathroom, in that shower, she got to be only Kara. Not a member of the House of El, not someone that was to be wed to the King of another planet, not someone's soon-to-no-longer-be girlfriend. Just a girl, who felt like her entire world was collapsing over and around her.

Her soapy hands roamed all over her body, spreading the liquid so that she could clean herself up. She touched and felt the delicate surface of her skin around her hips, she squeezed it hard, partially in anger, but also in hurt. And at that moment the girl collapsed on the tiled floor of the shower in a thud. Her tears were hidden by the running water and dark blonde long locks of hair.

With her arms hugging her knees and her forehead in the place between them, she somehow felt at ease, protected. In that bathroom no one could hurt her, no one could lie to her, no one could hide important and life-changing papers and arrangements.

After almost half an hour that felt more like an eternity, the water turned from boiling hot to freezing cold. The Kryptonian slowly rose to her feet and shakingly made her way toward the exit of the shower.

Her legs and hands were shaking and she was taking short and frequent breaths. Her head was aching and the world before her was spinning. By the time she reached the door leading to the dressing room, the floor of the bathroom was painted with drops of water and soap. Supporting herself by the door, Kara took some long breaths and gripped the door handle, opening it.

She stepped carefully on the fluffy rug laid on the wooden floors and with an ambition, she didn't think she had in herself at that moment she went through the room in an instant reaching the wardrobe that had her nightclothes inside.

Kara, with shaking hands, took a nightgown and threw it over her damp hair and rummaged through other drawers in search of a pair of undergarments and socks. When she was stepping through her lingerie, the door leading to the room opened and a low gasp came from behind the door.

"Kara, are you-- Oh my Rao!" Jams' voice filled the pressing silence present in the room and after apologizing he closed the door on his way out. He didn't comment on how much he had seen of his girlfriend's skin, skin that he ached to caress and touch. He had never seen the blonde in a state similar to the one they were in.

The chocolate-skinned man seated himself on the messy bed placed in the middle of the bedroom. He looked awkwardly around himself and at the mattress. He wanted to get to the next step of their relationship, but he was sure that she didn't, yet. And his dark brown eyes continued to run over the surfaces of a room he wasn't that familiar with, as he would've wanted. He studied the big windows, covered in soft thin white curtains, and the city that sprawled behind the glass. The high buildings made of steel and glass in Argo City were something familiar to him and looking at them through the windows of his girlfriend's chambers was a relaxing feeling.

By the wall-high windows, was a grey table with dozens of holo crystals, pens and books spread out on. Right in front of it was towering a bookcase of the same colour. Books of various colours, sizes and genres were crammed and placed in weird positions, Jams knowing that they were for sure thrown in Kara's usual state of hurry while searching for something. In the last two bottom shelves, transparent boxes filled with holo crystals in colours varying from pale red to bright blue, meant to store more information than books had ever been able to.