Chapter Seven: "Scattered Away"

Kandor was not a city that Kara adored, but it was where she was to get her degree, start her life

Kandor was not a city that Kara adored, but it was where she was to get her degree, start her life. Or maybe that was just what she had thought until a week ago.

Her desk was covered in papers, most of them being from a marriage contract. She was no lawyer, but she knew that she was in a bad situation. She also knew that she could decide whether or not to be a part of this, she was over the age of eighteen so she could decide what was best for herself, on her own. 

But she also knew that she loved her home too much to let it die. And Daxam could help it heal, maybe even strive, even more than it was already.

So, at around nine in the evening, Kara's one last wish before starting to be the fiancee of the King of Daxam knocked on the door. 

Outside, in the cold faded light of the corridor, Jams-Ol was anxiously playing with his hands. The black jacket hugged his arms perfectly, his muscles moved when he heard the sound of the open door. His pants were the same dark colour as his shirt, but they were less fitted to the body. His pupils were fully blown and even in the almost darkness they were surrounded with, Kara could see the hurt on his face.

She felt the same.

His eyes, the same colour as coffee, were filled with confusion and she could easily realize that in his mind, there was a confrontation going on. She was asking too much of him that night, she wanted to feel the way she had for the last couple of years. She knew that she was also hurting them so much more. 

She should just ask him to go home and spend the rest of the night alone, think about the next day and how in the last weeks, her life had changed drastically. 

But she didn't do that. 

She was too stubborn to do it.

She let him enter her overcrowded apartment, which he had seen before and closed the door when he stopped in the middle of the hallway a meter in front of her. He was studying the walls in a way she knew that calmed his anxiety. He loved architecture. But her hallway was no piece of art. But the photos on the walls were. They were his.

"Do you want something to drink?" she dared to break the silence. He turned to her and with big chocolate eyes, he studied her, assessing, probably criticising. 

She wore a dark blue cardigan with a lace corset, almost see-through, under it and a pair of tight pants. Her hair was down her back in soft waves and over her collarbone fell a golden necklace with a purple stone placed right over her sternum, in the middle of her breasts. 

He just nodded at her and continued towards the main living area. When they walked into the room, the lights were dimmed, but the city was scattering its own blaze through the grand windows that were almost covering the whole wall. 

Jams was no stranger to this place, to this heaven of hers, but the time was then different. They were different. 

He was confused and that emotion could be easily read from all over his face. His eyes were almost the same as melted chocolate and his face was covered by the shadow of not slept nights and sadness. 

Kara played anxiously with her fingers and aimed towards the cooking area. She searched the cabinets for two glasses, opened the refrigerator for a bottle of something non-alcoholic and poured the juice into the glasses. 

Jams was still standing when a glass of the beverage was placed in his hand. He took a sip of it and they continued to stay in silence and almost darkness until Kara decided to finally tell him the reason why she wanted him here.

He didn't know that it was for the last time she was able to do it. He didn't know how selfish she wanted to be for once. 

Her eyes were bright. She was thinking and rethinking her decision, but he was here. It was too late. She needed to do it. She needed to get it out of his system. 

Jams looked at her, worry on his face. He knew that something was wrong, but he couldn't put his finger on it and call it by its name. So he waited. 

" I want to do it," her voice was small. If he wasn't ready to hear it, he was sure they would've missed it. 

"Do what?" His voice was louder, the silence was broken, but it settled rapidly again until she decided that she wanted it gone.

" I want to do it with you." He knew what she wanted. "Because I love you." But he also knew that she wasn't prepared for it. She didn't feel like it was something it needed to be done, so her life would be fulfilled. "Because I trust you." 

There was more to it, but he couldn't care. The woman he loved was before him and even though the last week has been too much. Too much pain, too much hurt. He couldn't let her go. So his hand cupped her cheek, she leaned into his touch, eyes bright, determination behind them, but a war was still taking place behind them. The stars were appearing and disappearing, her comets were burning and dying down so fast that he almost lost himself in them a couple of times. 

He knew her eyes, he knew her well enough. 

And he slowly went to kiss her, pulled her in an embrace, told her through their connection that his world was hers to take. But she had other ideas, other goals. She met him with a force that was intense, desperate. 

She wanted him because she was losing him. She was losing him to eyes like skies and skin as fair as hers. 

He embraced her and they scrambled towards her room. 

The bed was soft, the sheets smelt like vanilla and the usual cup of coffee on her nightstand was nowhere to be seen. Everything was clean, no scattered clothes, except for theirs when they threw them in their passionate battle. 

He was with his back on the mattress when her hands started going up and down his torso, searching for the buttons or the zippers in his blouse. He knew that there were none so he rose off the bed, took off the piece of clothing and kissed her again. He hugged her lace-covered middle, kissed her lips, face, jaw, collarbone and when his breath was hovering the pink skin of her breaths, she scattered away from him. 

She gulped. 

Their eyes met only once, she ran out of the room and out of the apartment. The only thing she stopped for was a pair of shoes, keys and a jacket that was hanging off the rack in the hallway, by his photos.

She had just ran. 

Like he knew she would.