Chapter One: "Long live Mon-El of Daxam, The King!"

The yellow rays of sunlight were something that she has been frequently dreaming about. With war on the verge of breaking out between her planet and its sister-planet, Daxam, Kara Zor-El, had not been able to sleep an entire night in weeks.

She could still replay in her head the moment that was the beginning of it all falling apart...

"The Central Government of Krypton, located in Kandor City, had just announced that their negotiations with the Gand Monarchy of Daxam were of no success." the byline on the screen before her eyes read. The bright light, that ruined the darkness that had been installed in the room, hurt her eyes. Out of poor curiosity, the young Kryptonian woman scrolled through many other articles that announced the same thing: Krypton didn't make peace with Daxam. Nobody knew why. Was it because Kryptonians were not open to the idea of sharing research about their extra-galactic explorations? Was it because they didn't offer enough money for the resources that were needed for Krypton to continue its existence?

Still, with eyes glued to the hologram before her, the blonde woman became bored. Out of the blue, the screen turned off. The sudden blackness in her cold room made her shiver. The purple sky that was slowly trying to turn into its normal orange shade, became a bright blue and right after, an angry red. Her breath was caught in her lungs while looking out of the wall-high window. The door of the room was abruptly opened and her best friend, Alex, more like a sister if you think about it, entered followed by two guards. The worry Alex had on her face made the El realise that something had happened. "We're under attack." the voice of a certain brunette broke the silence. "What? Who is attacking us? Daxamites?" asked the El, the tremor of her voice could easily show that the heir of the most important family on Krypton was terrified. "I have no idea, but their King was killed."

"Here on Krypton?" the woman just nodded.

"Let's just go, you're a very important person and we can't risk having you fall in the hands of some maniac." Alex walked towards her friend, grabbed her hand and yanked her in the direction of the panic rooms that have been built after her grandfather Seyg-El moved in that house with his wife, Nyssa-Vex ages ago. Nyssa was the mother of her father, Zor-El and her uncle, Jor-El. After regaining his rank, Seyg-El was a man many people talked about. Some people said that he might have had another child with another woman after Brainiac was finally defeated, a child that disappeared just like his mother. Some might say that the famous former Primus, Lyta Zod was the mother of that child and that the skinny and dark-skinned Dru, the best friend her uncle always talked about, who disappeared too, was the long lost brother that was never considered a true El.

The women were running through the halls of Kara's childhood home, when they heard a sudden gunshot, mundane, human, not something that the Kryptonians were used to. They were used to going around with laser guns, nothing based on bullets. A cry followed the sound of bullets falling to the concrete marble. Kara stopped for a second and then started running in the direction of the sound. Alex caught off guard but after a second she came back and tried to catch up with the peer while having a laser gun of her own placed in the right hand.

Blonde curls were bouncing on Kara's shoulders while she was dashing through slightly dimmed halls. She stopped in the proximity of the room's entrance where almost silent whimpers were coming from and continued her way inside the room as silent as she could. Getting closer and closer to the centre of the room, one of the communal living spaces, the sight before her eyes made that reality turn into a real-life nightmare.

Before her eyes appeared the barrel of a gun. The metal it was made of was shining in the faint light coming through the windows covered by curtains made of lace, brought from planets light-years away. The cry of the old wife caught the attention of the man before her, with dark skin and blue eyes. An unusual combination, a rare one. The second his eyes left her face, so did the gun. Another gunshot dashed through the room and the only thing Kara had acknowledged was the thud made the moment his body made contact with the terranean marble.