Chapter 21 || "Gotta Pee?"

AN: be sure to stick around until the end to read my much longer, in-depth AN lol

Shawn's still holding onto my hand, the two of us holding the others eye, when my door bursts open and in walks Julia, a small rectangular box in her hand.

"Okay, I know I just screamed at you in the hallway not even thirty minutes ago, but I went to the drug store and bought-"

"Shawn's here," I announce loudly, cutting her off before she has the chance to say anything else. Julia's head shoots up and her eyes land on the boy next to me before frantically meeting mine.

"Oh. Hey." she says, shoving the box behind her back in the least discreet way possible. It takes everything in me not to roll my eyes, knowing that if Shawn didn't already figure out what she was holding before, he's definitely connected the dots now.

"They sell vapes in the drug store?" Shawn asks beside me, finally dropping my hand. Julia's eyes widen and I bite back a laugh, quickly looking at the floor. Okay, maybe's slightly more clueless than I gave him credit for. I mean, I guess it makes sense; how many times has Shawn really seen a pregnancy test box in person before? Even if the answer was only once, I'd still be shocked.

"Yeah, duh." Julia lies. "I've been trying to quit smoking weed so Helaina told me to try vaping instead."

"Why don't you go figure out where we're gonna go and text me once everything's all set?" I suggest to Shawn, although it comes out more like a command than anything else. I put my hand on his bicep and gently yet forcefully begin to push him towards the door.

"Wait, we're doing this today?" he asks, referring to our date. "Like, right now? On a Monday afternoon?"

"Doing what?" Julia chimes in. My head snaps in her direction and I shoot her a look, silently willing her to shut up for once so Shawn will get out of here as quickly as possible.

"Nothing important," I say, opening up the door and softly shoving Shawn into the hallway. "just stuff for our psych presentation."

"I'll text you when I-" Shawn begins, but I cut him off.

"Yeah, okay. Bye." I say, shutting the door right in his face. I wait a few seconds before I hear the sound of his heavy feet moving against the linoleum floor tiles, decreasing in sound as he moves further down the hallway.

"That wasn't about your project, was it?" Julia questions, and I finally step away from the door and back into the main part of the dorm room.

"Nope," I shake my head. "Just like how that isn't a vape in your hand."

Neither of us says anything, the mood in the room immediately shifting. Julia sighs, shuffling over to my bed and sitting down so that her back rests against the wall. I join her, staring off into Kennedy's side of the room. As I study the few pictures Kennedy has hung up of her and Ben and their friends from high school on the wall, I can hear Julia fidgeting with the small box beside me. I look down.

"So you decided to go and buy a test?" I ask even though the answer is obvious. She nods.

"I went and bought one yesterday, actually." she clarifies. "After the bus dropped us off back at campus, Caleb decided to run in 7-Eleven quickly to buy some stuff that he needed or something, I dunno. I was just standing there waiting for him to hurry up so we could leave when I saw they sold pregnancy tests, and the next thing I knew, I was walking out of the store with a test in one hand and a receipt in the other. I didn't even wait for Caleb; I just left and immediately ran back to my room. That's when I decided to call you."

I don't say anything, sensing that there's more to what Julia has to say. Instead, I continue to stare at my lap, waiting for her to continue. I begin to think she's done talking when she inhales sharply and slowly blows out a sigh.