Chapter 12 || "After You"

((AN: i insert a picture of helaina later but ignore the hat bc she's not wearing that in this bc in this house, we don't stan hats))

J: Here's Caleb's number. Text him when you get to the frat house.

J: 555-867-5309

J: I already gave him your number so don't worry he'll know it's you

I knock at the door to the frat house, completely disregarding Julia's text message. If someone doesn't answer the door, then I'll text him, but since I'm already here, it makes more sense to just knock. I hear voices, though, and as I see movement flash through the house, I suddenly realize just how bad of an idea this could be.

I have too much unwanted history with too many members of the frat. What if Sebastian opens the door? Or Kyle? Or Shawn?

I see someone head into the kitchen, so I duck and head over to the porch swing. Sitting down, I pull my phone out of my purse and open up my messages again. Adding Caleb's number to my contacts, I open up a new message and begin to text him.

H: hey it's Helaina, julia gave me your number. i'm outside on the porch at the frat house.

He texts back almost instantly.

C: oh okay cool, be down in a second

I open up Instagram, scrolling through my feed. I like a few pictures, coming across a picture Luke posted with a girl. I screenshot it, making a mental note to send it to Mom later and ask her about it. I know he's a junior in high school at that point, but the idea of him dating someone is so weird to me. I still think of him an awkward, prepubescent boy. Well, the awkward part is still right...

"Hey Helaina." Caleb says, the sound of the front door opening and foot steps emerging. I look up, putting my phone away and standing up.

"Hi Caleb." I smile. He steps out, and much to my surprise, Shawn steps out after him. I stare at the two of them, waiting for Shawn to continue on with his day and leave so Caleb and I can go. That's when it hits me: Shawn's going to be joining us today. Oh great.

"Hi Helaina." Shawn smirks, acting as if yesterday never happened. I don't whether to be happy or uncomfortable right now. On one hand, I'm fortunate Shawn isn't acknowledging our little heart-to-heart we had yesterday. On the other, his blatant denial of it somehow just makes it all the worse.

"Hi. So, should we go now?" I ask, completely avoiding Shawn's eyes. I focus my gaze solely on Caleb, to the point where it becomes awkward for the two of us. He looks down, clearing his throat.

"Uh, yeah. We can go now." he nods, heading down the steps. I follow closely at his side, not wanting to give Shawn the chance to maneuver his way next to me.

"So, how far is Julia's meet?" I ask as we approach his Jeep. The sight of it fills me with a rush of emotions, an equal mix of good and bad. I glance at Shawn, who's clearly thinking the same thing as me. He absent mindedly bites his lip, staring at the car. I swallow hard.

"Not far." he answers, hitting the button on his keys to unlock it. I climb in the back seat, while Caleb moves to the drivers side and Shawn makes his way onto the passengers seat. I close the door, putting my seatbelt on. "It's about a fifteen minute drive, if even that."

Caleb's in the car now, putting the key into the ignition and starting it up. I'm glad the drive is going to be quick and short. Sure, Caleb and Julia have been dating for over a month now, but I still feel like I barely know him in comparison to how I knew Carson when they were together. Granted, we were all friends long before him and Julia ever got together, while Caleb and Julia barley even knew each other when they started going out... Still, the situation is awkward regardless. The only way I could imagine it to be more uncomfortable was if Sebastian decided to tag along with us to the track meet.