Chapter 11 || "Hopelessly In Love"

"What are you doing here?"

I swing around, shocked and confused to see Julia browsing the aisles at the school library. I put my bag down at the table in front of me, walking over to her.

"I could ask you the same thing." I say, eyeing her suspiciously. Julia? In a library? On a Saturday afternoon? Either Julia's been killed and replaced with a look alike, or I've unknowingly wandered into an alternate dimension.

"I was looking for the book I need for my English Lit class." she says, holding up The Grapes of Wrath. Okay, I guess it checks out... "So, why are you here?"

"Psych project." I say, walking back to the table. I pull out the chair and sit down. Julia sits down as well, and I know I have to usher her away quickly before Shawn arrives. She already knows that Shawn and I are in the same group together, but she has no idea that we're going to be working alone together twice a week.

"Why do you keep looking over there?" she asks, turning her head to look at the entrance. The door opens, and I hold my breath as I wait to see who'll walk in. I let out a silent sigh of relief as a girl walks in.

"I'm not." I say defensively. "Listen, Jules, can you go? I really have to start working on this project."

"Fine, I'll go. I should probably read this anyway." she stands up, pushing the chair back under the table.

"Why don't you have a track meet today, by the way?" I ask.

"It was a boys-only meet today. The girls meet is tomorrow. You know, you should come watch. Caleb is going, so you two could drive together.

"Oh, um, I don't know if-"

"Great, so I'll text him right now and tell him you'll meet him at the frat house tomorrow!" Julia grins, pulling her phone out and beginning to type away. "Okay, it sent! Oh, also, what did you want?"

"What?"

"I just saw now that Alex texted me before, saying you stopped by our room looking for me. So, what did you want?" At that exact moment, the library doors open up and in walks Shawn. Isn't life's comedic timing honestly something else?

"Oh, never mind. It's not important." I say, shaking my head.

"No it's fine, just tell me."

"No really, it doesn't matter. It's over with now."

"Helaina just-"

"Hey Julia. Hi Helaina." Shawn says, interrupting our conversation with a smirk. He clearly knows what he's about to do and is going to enjoy every minute of it.

"Sit down." I whisper-yell, grabbing him by the arm and pulling him onto the chair next to me.

"If you're that eager to touch me, we could've just gone back to your room." he jokes, wetting his lips with his tongue as he speaks.

"You're really fucking annoying, you know." I turn back to Julia, who's watching every second of this exchange. "So, what time is your meet tomorrow?"

"11 AM, but you guys are going to have to leave earlier than that. Text me." she says, walking away. I know that when I do, more than just the game is going to be talked about.

"Why do you have to piss me off in every imaginable way?" I ask, pulling out my laptop and turning it on.

"Because it's fun to watch you when you're mad. Your face scrunches up and your ears turn red with anger. Actually, your entire face turns red. Your bottom lip juts out, which is hot. Your glasses move around as your face contorts." He reaches for my glasses, sliding them off my face. "By the way, has anyone ever told you how cute you look with glasses?"