Chapter 8 || "Cold Day In Hell"

Sebastian and I head back inside to the party, holding onto one another's hand as we walk. He leads me over to his friends seated around a coffee table in the corner of the room. Red solo cups and beer cans are scattered across the table. Everyone is drunk, and while a part of me is longing to get a drink myself, I know it's smarter to just say sober. Sebastian and I may have made up for now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still mad at him. We never discussed his blatant ignoring of my one rule in our relationship and how he called me a bitch before. I know that if I get any alcohol in my system, it's only going to be a matter of time before I blow.

"Helaina! You're back!" Julia cheers, throwing her arms up in the air. She nearly elbows Caleb in the face, but he's too stoned to realize it.

"I'm back." I smile, sitting down on the empty spot beside Caleb on the couch. There's still another empty spot next to me, with most of the group opting to sit on the ground instead. I suspect that they didn't start out this way, but the copious amounts of booze or marijuana now in their bloodstreams is responsible for their positions scattered on the floor.

"Do you want a drink?" Sebastian asks me, picking up an unopened can of beer on the table. I stare at it, shaking my head no.

"I'm good."

"You sure? You're pretty fun when you're drunk." he smiles, cracking it open. I shake my head again.

"I really shouldn't. I have to work tomorrow morning." I say firmer this time. It's a lie, but he doesn't have to know that.

"Suit yourself." Sebastian shrugs, lifting the can to his own lips and taking a swig out of it. He leans back, resting his arm on the couch before lowering it down so that it's resting around my shoulders. He pulls me closer.

I look around, taking everything in. Everyone is having their own separate side conversations, some quietly and some loud enough that the whole room can hear them. Julia and Caleb are directly across from me, with Julia perched on Caleb's lap like usual. They're talking pretty loudly; well, Julia is. She's giggling every few seconds as she blabs on to Caleb about God knows what, while he just nods along. His glazed over stare looks back at her, clearly too high to take in a word she's said.

Alex is sitting one cushion over from Caleb and Julia, facing the wall. Her girlfriend Hayley is resting on the arm of the couch. They both appear to be completely sober, talking quietly amongst themselves but extremely engaged in whatever it is they're discussing. They're draped all over each other, with Alex's arm laid across Hayley's legs and her hand resting on her thigh. Hayley's head is propped up on her head as she looks down at Alex, her free hand playing with her now-blue hair. I haven't been to a party in so long that I didn't even realize Alex had become a usual at them. I guess she found her place in the group once I opted out.

On the ground, to the right of Hayley, are Dylan, Piper, Allia, and Finn. They're passing a joint back and forth, talking and laughing even louder than Julia is to Caleb. In fact, they're so loud that I'm sure if you took a step outside and closed the door behind you, you would still be able to hear them as clear as day.

To the left of Julia and Caleb sit Skylar, Cameron, Tyler, Hazel, and two other boys I don't recognize. They're all on the ground, but I notice that Skylar is in the center of it all, with Hazel on the outskirts. Skylar is laughing and smiling, beaming ear to ear as the boys talk to her. She must really crave male attention.

"What are you thinking about?"

Sebastian's voice low in my ear startles me. I jump a little and turn my body more to face him. He's smiling lazily at me, definitely already a lot more drunk than he was just minutes before. This should be interesting.