Thirty-Five

Tears filled Ericka's eyes. Her throat tightened. Her body trembled. She was happy, but she was angry. Her emotions were a tornado and she was starting to lose control over them. Her eyes searched for her siblings, but couldn't find them. 'I'm sure they're fine, Ericka. Just breathe.'

She didn't respond to Dusk. She wasn't sure how without bursting into tears. Her dad kept his eyes on her, not watching what he was doing with Grant. "Ricky, I'm sor--" he was cut off by a tight hug. He felt a trembling teenager sobbing into his chest and his body was shocked.

"Daddy..." Ericka sobbed into his chest.

Mr. Bluhm looked to Gaelan, "Go. I can have Shaun help me with the antidote."

He nodded and guided his daughter to a random room nearby. He shut the door behind them and turned the light on, so they could actually see one another. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry for leaving."

"Why did you leave in such a rush?" Ericka sniffled.

"To protect you and your sisters from all of this." He moved his arms as he spoke. "I didn't want you three, or your mother, to get tied up in all of this. Your mother had seen it once before, I didn't want her to see it again. And I really didn't want you girls to see it." He lowered his head and sighed, "Zandyr is powerful. And it's not just because he's a vampire. He has these...generals let's call them, that help him. The one who comes after werewolves is really dangerous."

"Dad, we met him already. Alyx, Maxie, and I met him. That's why my wolf and Maxie's wolf look like they do."

Mr. Bluhm sighed, "I'm very sorry you had to meet him. He is such a cruel man. Your cousin was taken by him a long time ago. Around Alyx's age. Her family still can't find her."

"I didn't know that..."

"That's because I tried to keep the pack stuff away from home. I wanted us to have a normal family lifestyle. Unfortunately, that couldn't happen thanks to Zandyr." His eyes flickered on his daughters moon phase necklace that was a full moon. "I'm glad you still have it."

"Of course, dad. Zandyr may want it, but it's gonna be harder to get it from me. I'm stronger thanks to the artifact that was found by Jayden and Shaun. And Dusk has armor all the time now." Ericka paused. "What I don't understand is with mom. She's the one who made Dusk come forth. She's still alive, but I'm not sure where she is. Zandyr keeps saying she is his new queen. But why mom? What does mom have that he wants?"

Mr. Bluhm put his hand to his chin, stroking it as he thought. He heard his wolf in the back of his mind, urging him to tell the truth. He ignored him. Ericka wasn't ready for the truth. Not yet. He was about to say something when there was a knock at the door. "Um, sir...Gaelan needs your help."

The platinum blonde witch poked her head in. Ericka got a better view of the girls face and recognized the structure. "Lillypad?"

The girl turned to the name and raised her brows, "Howler?" Ericka nodded. "Oh my gosh! How are you?"

Mr. Bluhm raised his brows, "Doesn't Gaelan need me, Astoria?"

"Oh, um...yes. Please follow me." She lowered her head submissively.

Ericka thought it was strange how her camp friend was acting. She was never that quiet or shy. She shrugged it off and followed. "Dr. Bluhm, Grant isn't taking to the antidote well." Ericka heard from Gaelan.

Doctor Bluhm? Since when is my dad a medic? She thought. She turned to see Shaun torn to pieces. She watched as her best friends heart shattered hearing the words from Gaelan's mouth.

"Kaldon, good to see you." A familiar voice spoke calmly.

Mr. Bluhm turned to see a friendly face, "Winston, lovely to see you. I'm sure you heard the news."