Prologue

"Mom! Dad! Maxie took my toys!" Alyx shouted from her room

"Mom! Dad! Maxie took my toys!" Alyx shouted from her room. Ericka could hear this from her closed bedroom as she did her homework before the last week of her junior year started. She shook her head, with a small smile and continued to listen to her calming music to help her concentrate.

"Alyx was being mean back! She bit me!" Maxie shouted. Ericka stopped working and her head jolted up concerned. She walked to her cedar door and opened it to see her two younger sisters, Maximum and Alyxandrea, arguing in the hall. Her deep red hair fell into her face, as usual, covering her pretty blue eyes. She observed her sister's behavior before their parents stepped in, pulling them apart. Maxie's brown hair fell into her green eyes as their father turned her around to face him. Alyx's blonde hair was pulled back in a pony, so it hit her in the face as she was swung around to face their mom. Ericka stayed quiet, but observed.

"Alyxandrea Lacy Bluhm, you need to learn to share," Mrs. Bluhm scolded. Alyx looked like a mini me of her.

Alyx pouted, her bright blue eyes began to tear up, "Maxie started it. She said I couldn't walk with her to school tomorrow...so I bit her in the arm and then she took my toy," she choked back her tears.

"No I didn't! I was joking, Alyx!" Maxie defended and their dad turned her face to look at his and not the other way. She looked identical to their father, but as a girl and not a boy.

"Maximum Winter Bluhm, you need to learn to be nice to your little sister. Otherwise, both of you will be in a time out for the rest of the night, with no Smores on the campfire," Mr. Bluhm scolded.

Ericka chuckled to herself when she saw Maxie's expression at the words 'Smores' and 'campfire'. Her parents looked over and noticed she was standing there, quietly to herself, "Ricky, how long have you been standing there?" her mother asked as she stood up, straightening her outfit.

"I've been here since Maxie said Alyx bit her. It concerned me," she said with a smile. She suddenly felt strange rumblings inside of her and she felt like she was going to get sick. Her father noticed instantly and took a step towards her.

"Sweetheart, are you feeling okay?" he asked. She looked up and shook her head. She noticed her dad's eyes were a deeper color than they usually were, but she ignored that. "Why don't you go lay down? I will have the girls bring up some S'mores for you," he said with a soft smile.

Ericka nodded and went back into her room, moving her homework from her bed and laid face down on top of it, her face hitting her pillow. She could hear the muffled voices of her parents, "I knew this day would come. I'm surprised it took this long to surface itself," she heard her father say.

"I'm shocked that Alyx and Maxie's surfaced this soon," she heard her mother comment. Ericka grew confused, wondering what they were referring to.

What are they talking about? I just feel nauseous, that's why my stomach is rumbling and tying itself into knots so much. Ericka thought as she flipped over to her back. She grabbed her journal from her nightstand and flipped through it, getting to a fresh page. She took a pen from her school supplies and began to write in it to distract herself from her parents words.

'June 1st 2019,

Last week of school and I could NOT be more happier. Shaun is super excited too since I guess she is meeting her new 'brother' next week. She told me that he's weird about meeting new people, so I'm surprised he's doing a foreign exchange student program. He's from England I guess. Shaun tells me that she didn't choose him because he's from England, but I can see right through her lies. She totally did.

Anyways, I am feeling really nauseous and I am really hoping I don't get sick for the last week of school. That would really suck. I overheard my mom and dad and they said something was surfacing. I'm still unsure what they mean by that, but I hope it's not like a computer chip or something like that. I really don't want to deal with being part computer in this day and age. Most people have chips in their hands now and it's weird, I am definitely not a fan whatsoever.

Oh! I almost forgot! I am working at the camp I have been going to since I was young as a camp counselor. I AM BEING PAID FOR IT! I also have to bring my sister's along, but I'm sure they'll have fun. I cannot wait for that! Camp name is gonna be Howler, as usual.

I better go before Alyx and Maxie come barging in here with some S'mores for me. Night!

~ Ericka L. Bluhm'

Ericka closed her journal and put it back where it belonged, so no one could find it or read it. She knew her sisters would snoop around in her room and search for it every other week if they ever got the chance. She slowly dozed off and the rumbling inside of her seemed pleased.