Twenty-Eight

Ericka and the others searched for Shaun, but couldn't find a trace of her

Ericka and the others searched for Shaun, but couldn't find a trace of her. It was as if her scent was gone, or masked by something. Ericka clenched her fists and screamed, falling to her knees and slamming her fists on the soft ground. "Damn it! Where the hell is she?" her voice quivered as her head stared at the earth beneath her. She felt a hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently. Her hand reached for it, her fingers tracing theirs and her palm landing on the top of theirs. "This just isn't fair. It's me they want...isn't it? Why is he going after everyone else that I cherish and love?" her voice broke and she looked up, her blue eyes glossed over with tears. She saw Jayden's face staring at hers, his eyes filled with worry.

"I know, Ricky. I don't understand why they are going after the ones you love. It doesn't make any sense," Jayden commented with a heavy sigh.

Grant cleared his throat, "Uncle Zandyr wants to get you away from your Protectors to make you weak," he answered bluntly.

Ericka's eyes shifted to Grant, "My Protectors? I didn't know I had any."

Grant gave a sharp nod and turned to Ruby and Skull who were just casually chatting in the background. "Ruby, do you want to explain the ranks of your species, or shall I?"

Ruby raised her brows, "I guess I should...since I am all knowing..." she shrugged with a chuckle. "Alright, so the highest ranking of our species is a Patron. I am considered the Patron of Wisdom. Next in line is the Adapters. That is what you are, Ericka. Next is Protectors. Jayden and Shaun are known as Protectors. After that are Chasers. Asher is a Chaser. And last but not least are the Lost Souls. Skull, that is what you are."

"What am I considered as then, Ruby?" Grant questioned, as he scratched the back of his head.

Ruby rubbed her head, her brows furrowed, "Um...Grant, that is a great question. I would have to look at the Ancient Library of Wolves and see what I can find." Grant nodded.

"Where is this library?" Skull asked softly.

"It's west of us. Why do you ask?"

"Just seeing if we could make it in a day or something. I would really enjoy seeing a library all about wolves and werewolves," Skull mentioned. "Maybe I can somehow get my memory back."

Jayden tilted his head, "That actually sounds like a good idea, Skull." He turned his attention towards Ruby, "How long do you think it will take you two to get there and back?"

"I would say a week at least, maybe two. Two days to get there, ten days to do research, and two days to get back. Hopefully, I can find the book I need for myself anyway. The 'Big Book of Wisdom'." Ruby chuckled.

"That's not very unique. All of these amazing things and then that book name is just so plain." Grant commented.

Ericka stood up, "Wait, so you two are just gonna leave us? Ruby, you have a better sense than any of us around here." She brushed herself off, looking at Jayden and Grant. "You two can't seriously be okay with them leaving for two weeks. What if someone gets hurt? We would have no healers!"