Twenty-Four

Shaun stood at the doorway, staring at Grant

Shaun stood at the doorway, staring at Grant. "Shaun, who's at the door?" Ruby yawned, rubbing her perfect blue eyes to get the sleep sand from them. Shaun looked to Ruby and then back at the handsome, pale vampire standing at their bedroom door. Ruby looked past her roommate and noticed a nervous Grant, just standing there. "Um, I think he is waiting for you to invite him in, Shaun."

"That's a thing?" Shaun raised her brows and she felt Blu rumble in her chest as if she were purring. Grant gave a sharp nod and looked down at his feet. "Well, Grant, would you like to come in and chat?" She stepped aside as Grant took a step over the door frame. Shaun smiled softly, "So...what did you want to speak with me about?"

Ruby had a feeling it was going to be a long talk, so she decided to leave and go to Ericka and Skull's room. "Have fun you two." She chimed as she left, closing the door behind her. She could feel Shaun's eyes on her back, piercing her skin as if they were actual daggers.

"Shaun?" Grant tried to bring her back to his attention.

Shaun's eyes were back onto him, "Sorry. Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden? What's wrong with you?"

"I don't know what's wrong with me...that's why I came to you..." he confessed, lowering his gaze.

Shaun laughed, "Why would you come to me? We barely know one another! Besides, can't you talk to Noelia or your dad?"

Grant casually walked over to the window, looking up at the moon, "Shaun, I came to you because something inside me pulls me to you. It just started and I don't understand why. We are two different species. We don't mix well together. Our species never have." He turned to face her, dramatically, "Shaun, you may not know this, but...our families have been enemies since the beginning. It's in our history books. Lytles and Frosts don't get along, never have until recently."

"I know our families aren't actually enemies, just our species! Would you just get to the point already, drama queen! I don't have all night!" Shaun snarled with a roll of her eyes.

"All I am trying to say is...something is clearly wrong with me."

"Yes, something is wrong with you. You came to me for help. You came to a werewolf, whom you barely know, for help with something that makes no sense. Grant, have you gone crazy?"

"No! But I do have a hunch as to why I am acting the way I am." He slipped his silk, button down shirt over his head, revealing his pale chest and back. Shaun's cheeks went beat red and she covered her face with a pillow. "Can you please just look at me for one second?"

"When you put your shirt back on, I will." Shaun replied, muffled.

Grant walked over to her, gently pushing down the pillow, revealing her red face. "Just look at the scratches. That's all I am asking you to do."

Shaun glanced at his chest and saw claw marks that resembled something oddly familiar. "Turn." Grant did as he was told. She saw the same markings on his back. It was as if he was attacked by two large beasts that sandwiched him or just one giant one that was planning to split him open for dinner. Shaun frowned, "When did you get these?"