Chapter 3

Cheyenne

Today was Sunday and unlike the previous Sunday's I had off, Warden Monteź reached out asking if I'd be able to come into work today. Not having anything else better to do I agreed to picking up the evening shift. Sometimes I think I drown myself in work to avoid thinking about the social life I don't have. I guess I prefer to be a workaholic rather than a social butterfly; putting myself out there to meet new people.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like meeting new people, it's the getting to know them part that I often dread while also having to share my own likes and interests. Nothing personal, I simply hate having to reintroduce myself each time. 

As I pulled into one of the free parking spaces, I received a text from my best friend, Jade reminding me that tonight we were going out. A sigh escaped my mouth remembering our last phone conversation vividly, where I not only promised her I'd go out but I also agreed to having a few drinks.

Responding with "I'll see you tonight", I put my phone on do not disturb before removing my body from the car. I showed my ID to the guard behind the desk then went through the scanners just as I did any other day. I've grown quickly familiar with the facility and was able to find my way around without getting lost.

The minute I approached the first flight of stairs leading to the infirmary; a loud alarm went off. My eyebrows frowned seeing many of the officer's run in the same direction. "Harris!" I signaled my hand in the air noticing a familiar face amongst the crowd. He jogged across the hall to where I stood.

"What's going on?" I questioned. "There was a fight with a few inmates in the prison yard. Warden wants everything locked down." He informed, "I have to go. See you around Mitchell." Harris then rushed through the double doors, following behind the other officer's.

Making my way down to the infirmary, all I could think about was the intensity of the fight between the inmates; which is what forced Warden Monteź to declare a full lock down. I'd been on the job for a mere two weeks, and already I was experiencing some of the fears my family had concerns about.

Not long after settling in the office, two-to-three officer's came in, escorting inmates with minor cuts that needed to be treated. I cleaned and dressed each wound with care before assuring the guards that the inmates were free to return to their cells.

"Hey, Nurse Mitchell, we got another one." Officer Fields; A tall man with a low top fade called to my attention. My head turned in the direction of two the C.O.'s walking down the hall with an inmate who looked like he could barely take another step. I helped them get him onto a free gurney before rushing over to grab supplies that would minimize his spooling blood.

"Sir, what's your name? Do you know where you are?" I held a load of gauze on the his wound that looked to be caused from a stab. "Zero-four-two-seven." He spoke with a soft gruff. I found it quite awkward that he disclosed his inmate number as if it were the casual thing rather than his rightful name. I figured he must've been in here for a while and grew accustomed to being referred to as Inmate zero-four-two-seven.

"Well, Mr. zero-four-two-seven, your wound is pretty deep. Though I got the bleeding under control, a deep wound like this requires stitches." I informed him of his injuries. I took this moment to scan his appearance, scrutinizing the small tattoos on his face, along with some of the bigger ones on his exposed arms.