Chapter 9

Cheyenne •

Returning to work the following week felt dreadful. I recalled the encounter between Warden Monteź and I, which caused a great level of exhaustion as I retrieved my bags from the backseat. I scanned in using my badge, heading to the infirmary ward in a hurry. My superiors face was the only thing I was hoping to avoid during my shift.

"Hey, Mitchell!" Harris called out. There was an eco as he continued yelling my last name which many of the other C.O.'s referred to me as well. I turned around, coming into clear view of a lanky five-foot-eleven Harris. "Hey." I slipped him a small smile while fixing the bag strap over my shoulder. "Why so gloomy today?" He pin pointed my mood.

Astonishingly, Harris, who's first name is actually Cain; and I had developed a work relationship during my short time here at Solitude which was oddly satisfying since I'm typically okay with not having any associates and staying to myself in the work place. However, I enjoyed his presence while on majority of my shifts. I'd come to realize that the white and navy blue uniform he wore was just a shield. He's an amicable, selfless human being and I could appreciate that because it was rare to come across these days.

Cain respected me as a woman because of the way I carried myself, as simple as he'd like to put it which was far more gracious than how some of the other officers viewed me. "Can I ask you something?" I used this as my window of opportunity. "Of course." He leaned against the wall for support. "What can you tell me about an inmate named Kenji Grant?"

Cain's eyes furrowed. He stood up straight, looking around to make sure our conversation wasn't being overheard. "Do I want to know why you're asking about a man of his character?" He asked. Letting out a tiresome exhale, I relied on my right leg to rest all my weight. "It's nothing beyond an encounter that happened between him, Warden Monteź, and myself." I was truthful in my response.

Either way, I was more-so concerned about Mr. Grants well-being if anything. "Well, Grant got released two days ago." Cain informed. The news of his release came as a shock. "Oh, okay." I simply nodded, not wanting him to look too much into the situation. I came here to remain professional and do my job, not get mixed up in prison gossip or anything of that nature.

Cain and I wrapped up our conversation mere minutes later, going our separate ways. As I approached the doors of the infirmary ward, I noticed the lights had already been on. My eyebrows knitted together as I entered with caution. "Hello?" I came in close contact with a woman who looked to be in her mid forties. "Hello! I'm Nurse Reid, and you must be Nurse Michelle?" The woman was warm and friendly.

"Y-Yes, I am." I nodded. "You look caught off guard." Nurse Reid replied. I placed my bags down then cleared my throat, "Excuse me if this comes off harsh, but I am." She adjusted the glasses on her round face, "I was called on by Warden Monteź. He asked me to oversee things in the infirmary, alongside you, of course." Nurse Reid didn't sound as if she was trying to step on anyones toes. Even-so, I had no knowledge of this and couldn't help but think the Warden did this intentionally because of the situation that had taken place.

"Oh, did he now?" A humors chuckle escaped my mouth, "Well, welcome to Solitude... it's the Wardens way or the Wardens way." My shoulders went up then down. Nurse Reid's eyebrows furrowed. "Am I missing something?" She questioned, sensing the tension. I looked her up and down but not in an intimidating way, "I-I'm sorry about that. Please excuse my comment. I'm sure you'll find a way to navigate through here." My voice sounded more welcoming this time. I'd caught myself being bitter to the wrong person.

Nurse Reid simply nodded. Not long after, we both went on to handle files of the inmates, updating charts and organizing medical supplies in the office. The more time I spent working alongside Nurse Reid, I come to realize she wouldn't be so bad. Not that I didn't want or need an extra set of hands in the infirmary, but more-so how it was presented to me.

Time had surpass unexpectedly and it was nearing my clock out time. "So, will you be working everyday of the week?" I asked Nurse Reid while stacking some files neatly in a pile. "Tuesday's through Sunday's, as of now." Her responses were nothing less of polite, which made me feel atrocious for how I first acted.

All-in-all, I didn't mind working side Nurse Reid in the infirmary and I wasn't going to let the dispute between the Warden and I effect the work relationship with her and I. An hour later, I was starting up my car and pulling out of the parking lot. Deciding to stop by my parents house instead of going home, I drove down the free highway in silence. My hands clenched the steering wheel as I randomly thought back to where my life was a year ago.

I thought my life was finally pieced together. I was madly in love and weeks away from standing at the alter with the man I swore was my soul mate. I soon began tasting the salt of my own tears as they streamed down my face. Maybe I didn't completely heal from the situation that caused me the most heartache— however, I couldn't spend my days wondering 'why her and not me'. They often say people enter our lives as either a blessing or a lesson— there was a powerful truth behind the saying.

Vote + Comment 🤍

Thanks for reading!