Chapter Seven

1 Year Later

"Morning, babe."

I look up at Cory, smiling softly at him. He looks down at me, his hair a mess on top of his head, eyes squinted from sleep.
"Morning," I reply before leaning up, placing a long, soft kiss on his lips. When we break, I lay back down, putting my head on his chest and hauling the blanket closer to my chin. He laughs lightly, planting another kiss on the top of my head, wrapping his arms around me and letting out a long, relaxed breath. I release one as well, and we stay in bed for just a couple more minutes. After relaxing, mumbling sweet nonsense to each other, and even sharing a couple kisses, we get out of bed.

I let him shower first, and I go out to the kitchen to make him breakfast. I make scrambled eggs, toast, and coffee, setting it all out on the island. I eat mine quickly, chugging my coffee, and go into the bathroom just as he gets out. We peck each other on the lips as we pass, and I strip down once in the bathroom, getting in the shower.

Once I'm all clean, I wrap a towel around myself and my hair, brush my teeth, and go into my room. I go into my closet, slipping on fitness leggings, a sports bra, and my black fitness jacket, lacing up my sneakers. I blow dry my hair and put it up in a ponytail, applying only sweat-proof concealer and mascara before heading out to the kitchen.

Cory comes inside, with our Irish setter, Chess, on a leash. He lets the red dog off of it's leash, and it comes barreling towards me, tongue lolling out of the side of it's mouth. I smile at him and drop to my knees, the big dog greeting me with a wagging tail and a bark. Pet him and scratch him for a couple of seconds before standing up, eyeing Cory. He only wears grease stained jeans and t-shirt, with an army style jacket over it, but he still looks cute.

We kiss each other before we leave to go to our separate jobs. I let Chess out in the backyard, and fill his food and water bowls, unlocking the doggy door. With everything unplugged and all the lights turned off, I go and hop into my car, a grey Ford Fusion. I drive to my workplace, as Fitness Centre in town, where I hold different classes and act as a fitness instructor. I even teach self-defence.

When I go into my room, my class is already there. Lily is included in the class. When she heard that I was teaching a cardio class, she immediately signed up. Over the past year, she's become a really close friend. We do just about everything together, and when we're not together, we're normally on the phone talking to each other. Her husband and Cory both make jokes at us, joshing around and saying that we may as well have known each other our entire lives. It's true; Lily and I know everything about each other.

I greet the class, and we begin. When it's done, we're all sweaty and gross, but everyone has a small smile on their face, proud to make it through the class. Lily sticks around even after everyone's left, and she comes over to talk to me. She wipes her forehead with her towel, chuckling to herself.
"It's still hard," She laughs, and I laugh a little as well. If only she knew that this didn't hurt me.
"Yeah, so are we still on for dinner tonight?" I ask, taking a swig from my water bottle.
"Of course! What do you want me to bring?" She asks, beginning to get her jacket on.
"Um... How about your apple pie for dessert?" I reply. She nods.
"Can do! Alright, I'll see you later chickie!" She exclaims before hugging me and leaving.

At the end of my work day, I get in my car. Instead of going straight home, I pick up a few grocery items to make dinner with tonight. I call Cory as I walk through the aisle, asking him what he and Mark want to eat. Both of the men agree on just chicken with vegetables, something simple. With dinner planned, I tell Cory I love him, and grab the things I need.

I drive straight home afterwards, and I turn on the oven. I shower quickly before I do anything else, and bring Chess in from outside. He lies in the living room, watching me cook with intent, deep brown eyes. I season the chicken first, and get a couple pots of boiling water going. With the chicken in the oven and the potatoes, squash, corn, and peas all on the stove, I head into my room to get ready.