Chapter Nineteen

1 Month Later

I close my eyes, releasing a small breath into the midday air. When I do, it's like my focus is centred on the world around me, everything from scents, to smells, to the ground beneath me sucks into me. I can hear a bird a couple feet to my far right, and a deer snorts behind me far away. None of this is what I'm looking for, until I hear the low growl of the Caddaja on my left.

The horned, ugly creature barrels out of the woods, releasing a violent roar as it charges me. I flip the stake of stone in my hands, smirking as I side step it, allowing it to head butt a large boulder behind me. Caddaja don't have very fast reflexes, and they can't turn very well. It smashes into the boulder full force, rumbling the ground and cracking the rock right down the middle. It shakes it's head as it steps back, snorting and turning back to me.

It's skin is a rotting gray color, it's sharp and yellow teeth poking up over it's lips. It's black eyes narrow on me, releasing a snort from it's pushed in nose, green mucus shooting from it and onto the ground. I curl my lip up at it, and in a flash, it's barreling off towards me again. I run away from it in a straight line, keeping my breaths even and my paces quick.

The Caddaja follows close behind me, it's giant footsteps causing the ground to quake beneath him. It stands at around ten to twelve feet tall, and each step beings it closer to me. I focus on my destination, and soon I've reached my target tree. I sprint up a set of boulders, leaping off the last one and grabbing onto a branch with one hand. I get a foothold, and begin clambering up a short ways, out of the Caddaja's reach.

It stomps and roars beneath me, trying to jump up to reach me. I walk out along one branch silently, hidden by branches, and with one swift movement, I jump down and plunge the stone stake into it's back. It cries out and begins thrashing around. Reaching behind its self, it grabs me by the back of my shirt, and flings me over it's head, sending me soaring through the air.

I collide with a large tree, hearing a crack in my ribs. When I land on the ground, half dazed, I only have one moment to roll out of the way to narrowly dodge an oncoming boulder flying through the air to crush me. The Caddaja lumbers over, it's speed a lot slower than before. Green ichor oozes from it's back, disintegrating the ground it touches like acid. I stand up, shake my head, and run at the creature.

I jump up into the air, and it swings it's muscly arm to bat me out of the way. I land on it's wrist, use the force to shove myself off of it, and flip over it's head. On my way down, I grab ahold of the stake, using my falling force to yank it out of it's back. A few drops of ichor land on my skin, singing it, but I just whip around as the creature does the same. It throws it's arm out to bat me again, and I use my same tactic to jump on it. Instead of launching myself over it's head, I just go straight up, jamming the stake down into it's heart with my fall.

The Caddaja stumbles backwards with a roar, sending spit flying into my face and hair. I just shut my eyes and turn my head, never losing hold of the stake as it crash backwards to the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop. I breathe heavily as I recover, slowly opening my eyes and looking down at the thing I just killed. Green ichor spews and bubbles from the wound, and I have to jump out of the way as stone begins encasing the creature. When it has formed into an ugly rock, I hear the fluttering of wings behind me.

Turning around, I discover Azeriel standing there, dressed sharp in a suit as always. I breathe heavily, but manage to stand up fairly straight, placing my hands on the small of my back, leaning backwards until I hear a pop. I slowly stand myself backup straight, pop my neck, and wince as I feel a pulled muscle in my side.
"You did good," The angel states, fixing the cuff of his sleeve. I nod and cringe, wiping saliva from my hair, flicking it to the ground with a curled up nose.
"Thanks," I say slowly, a tinge of disgust hidden in my voice as I slick another gob of spit from my hair.
"Do you want me to fly you back to your house?" He offers, and I shake my head.
"No, I'll walk," I answer simply. He nods, and with the flutter of his wings, he's gone.