Chapter Seventeen

(A.N. Shutout to @CarolineHollywood for commenting on a lot of my chapters, and making me smile as I read them! You're pretty cool. Stay that way.)

*

"So we found out we're having a girl!"

I squeal, jumping from my bed and jumping around my room. My smile stretches from ear to ear, and despite the late time of 1:02 in the morning, I could never feel more awake. When the phone had rang, it did wake up Dean, but I just hushed him and told him to go back to sleep, telling him I'd only be a couple more minutes. Now, there's no way I'm getting back to sleep.
"I'm going to be an aunt!" I squeal, causing Dean to jump out of bed, nearly knocking over the lamp and hurriedly grabbing the shotgun under the bed. I put my hand on my hip, giving him an unimpressed look.
"What the hell, Myra?" He groans, his eyes squinted as he drops the shotgun, his chest heaving. I don't stay mad at him for long, as a smile spreads across my face and I begin squealing again, causing Lily to laugh on the other line.
"They're having a girl!" I shout at Dean, and he smiles, a yawn escaping his lips.
"Awesome!" He exclaims, and he proceeds to clamber back in bed. "But they couldn't have called at a decent time?"
"Certainly not!" Lily shouts from the other line, and I laugh, repeating to Dean what she just said. I apologize, moving from his bedroom to mine, where I don't normally sleep in anymore.

I sit down on the small, brown leather living chair in the corner, crossing my legs and pelting questions at Lily. Have they decided on a middle name? What's her room color scheme going to be? Is Mark excited to have a girl? Did they want a girl? She answers all of them with enthusiasm and zeal, completely over the moon with the news.

It's weird to think that now, I'm going to have someone named after me. Lily could have picked a random name, or named her after a relative or a celebrity. Instead, she chose me. Me, of all people. Me, who shone the true light of what the world really is in their faces. Me, who stumbled into that town with a broken heart and a messed up life. Me, who walked away from that town because I was too mentally damaged to do anything else but that. But still, they're insisting and excited to name their baby girl Myra Hope. My middle name is Grace, but Lily says that without one it's hard to have the other.

I feel sad that I won't be able to be there for her. I always pictured me being in their lives more, seeing as I was for a fairly long while. Despite only knowing them for a year, they became incredibly close friends, who we did everything together with. We made plans together to do everything, from dinner on Saturday night to going to a music festival in the summer. No matter what it was, Lily, Mark, Cory, and I were the terrible quartet who brought the wild to the party.

Eventually becoming thirsty and hungry, I move out to the kitchen. The turned off heaters cause the room to be cold, making my only shorts wearing legs filled with goosebumps. I make myself a cup of tea, and grab an apple, squeezing the phone in between my ear and shoulder as I cut it up to eat wing peanut butter.
"So how're you and Dean?" Lily asks as I place the apples in a small bowl, adding a scoop of creamy peanut butter to the centre.
"Really good. He keeps wanting to take it fast but, I want to take it slow. He understands; it wasn't that long ago that I broke up with Cory. Only what...2 months? Three, maybe? Anyways, it hasn't been that long at all," I add, more saying it to justify my reasoning for myself rather than Lily.
"No, no," She reassures me. "Cory's got a new girl, too."
I cough, fetching up as I bring my tea to my lips. "What?"
"She's not as pretty as you, but she is pretty," Lily continues, and I take a sip of my tea, setting it down with furrowed eyebrows and pursed lips.
"Oh really?" I say nonchalantly, jumping up to sit on the counter, dipping an apple in peanut butter. "What does she do?"
Lily huffs. "She's a nurse," She answers shortly. I pop the apple in my mouth.
"Is she...nice?" I awkwardly ask.
"I mean, she's nice enough. She's not about to give herself away to save a stranger, but she's nice to your face. I haven't heard much about her. Maybe you know her, Megan Havits?"