Chapter Fourteen

(a.n. Skip to 00:25 in music video for best effect. Listen on repeat if needed)

I stare at my home from my car, pain in my chest, and I close my eyes as tears slip out. Dean, who's driving my car for me, leans over and takes my face in one hand. I sniffle as I look up at him, and he plants a kiss on my forehead, one that's long and filled with reassurance. I squeeze my eyes shut, pursing my lips, just taking in the feel of him.

When he leans back, he gives me a small smile.
"I love you," He whispers. I smile back, eyes filled with tears.
"Love you too," I whisper back, before getting out of the car, and turning to my home. It stands in all of it's glory, beautiful in a apple pie life kind of way.

Sammy gets my bags from the car, bringing them inside for me. I can hear the clumping of a dog's paws, and following right after, is a big, red Chess barrelling down the hall to se
"Myra?" I hear his voice behind me. I haven't even been gone for long, maybe a week, but just the sound of his voice, not over the phone, makes tears come to mind. I drop my head and my hands from Chess, a smile on my face. I can hear footsteps behind me, and just after I stand up, arms wrap ever so gently around me. I nearly melt into their arms, but I keep myself standing.
"Cory," I mumble. I turn myself around, looking into his beautiful blue eyes. His smile is soft, small, yet filled with emotions, like relief; sadness; happiness; desperation, and others. I lift my arms up to his face, standing on my tippy toes, leaning in and kissing him.

I hear someone clearing their voice from the door. When I look to see who it is, I find Sammy standing there, hands in his pockets, his own small smile on his face. I smile back, walk up to him, and wrap him in a tight hug. He hugs me back, not nearly as tight, but still a hug nonetheless. He gives my arm, not the one that's shot, a firm squeeze before heading out, not sharing another word. I watch as he gets into the Impala, Dean already in the driver seat, and watch as they take off.

I stare down the empty road for a little while. Even after the Impala is long gone, with the brothers inside, I feel like they'll come turning around at any moment. That in any second, they'll be back here. But the sound of the Impala is gone, distant, only existing in my memory. I feel a hand on my should, and when I turn around, Cory stands there with a reassuring smile on his face.

He unpacks my things for me, and I lie on the couch, talking to Lily over the phone. She asked if I wanted company, but I told her that I'd rather just see Cory for a little while. She laughed when I told her that I'd been with boys for long enough, and that I just need to see my boy for a little while.

We talk for a long time, and when I hang up, it's 7:00-ish. Cory is making dinner in the kitchen, and I turn on the TV, glad to have some time to relax. Chess lays at my feet, head on my legs, brown eyes shut as he sleeps. I draw a blanket over me, allowing myself to sink into the couch that's so familiar. No more swanky hotel rooms, no more monsters, at least for a little while.

Conversation is small at the dinner table. I don't know if we have anything to talk about, even where there's so much we could talk about. I could talk about what happened, but that's not really something you talk about over dinner, and he's already heard it. He could tell me about work, but I know how it is. A car comes in, they fix it, it goes back. We could talk about the town gossip, but it just doesn't feel right. When I'm done eating, I push my plate away, wiping my mouth and placing my napkin on top of my plate. I stare at it for a while, Cory staring at his own plate, neither of us saying a word. There's nothing to say.

I end up having a bath after Cory showers, and it stings like Hades as I lower myself into the water. Cory ends up helping me wash my hair and my body. He also helps me change my bandages, every touch of his gentle and careful. He even helps me get dressed, and carries me into bed, even though he doesn't need to. He places a kiss on my forehead, and clambers into bed beside me, hauling me into him. I nestle my head into his chest, glad to be back in his arms.