Chapter Nine: Unforeseeable Futures

As the hour ticked by, many different men consoling in the hallway leading to the center room of the Ferngill Republic's capital building make their way inside. Most of them are different, and the Prime Minister is now present in place of the Representative that was in his place before.

Sergiu, Ivan, Makarov, and the other Special Operatives arrive soon after. The three Arstotzkans that were in the room before return back inside, while the others wait in the hallway.

Makarov is now dressed in general army fatigues for Arstotzka's military. Black and grey camouflage patterns on his long sleeved shirt and his slacks. Upon his shoulder boards is his red and gold stitched ranking chevrons. He has a pair of worn, but clean black combat boots on that go up about halfway on his lower leg. A black patch on his left arm which bears the flag of Arstotzka. On his chest is a bulletproof vest which can stop most pistol and low caliber rifle rounds. Upon his head is a black helmet bearing the shield symbol and is designed to stop shrapnel and calibers similar to the vest. He stands at attention, his hands folded prominently at his lower abdomen and his eyes pointed straight ahead. On his back is a sleek semi-automatic rifle which is colored grey and black with red streaks, and holstered at his hip is a similarly colored semi-automatic pistol.

Across from him, on the other side of the table, is a soldier from the Ferngill Republic dressed in the general army fatigues for the Ferngill's military. Solid dark green shirt and similarly colored slacks. A pair of similarly worn, but also clean brown combat boots that go about as high as the man's ankle. On his left arm are simple gold stitched ranking chevrons. He has no bulletproof chest pads, but he does have a solid light brown helmet on his head which appears to only be capable of stopping shrapnel. He too stands at attention, his hands pointed directly at his sides and looking straight ahead, into Makarov's eyes. Strapped to his shoulder is a small dark blue bolt-action rifle which resembles nothing more than a BB gun, although there is a clip with actual bullets inside. On his hip is a dark colored revolver pistol, which is hard to tell whether it is dark blue or black.

Ivan steps up and addresses Makarov, "As you see before you gentlemen, this is what Arstotzkan soldiers would be marching to battle in." He describes each piece of Makarov's equipment in detail, going over its use on the battlefield.

Another man stands up. He's an older man with droopy facial features and a pair of bifocal eyeglasses. He wears a decorative military uniform adorned with many medals and ribbons, similar to Ivan's. "Good evening, General Doroshenko. I am First General Eugene Montgomery. Let me explain my good soldier here, Sergeant Burton." He goes over each piece of equipment that the Sergeant is wearing, similar to how Ivan did.

"Now," Ivan says, "Allow me to introduce you to the weapons that my men are using." He turns to Makarov, "Place your rifle and pistol on the table, soldier." Makarov nods, "Yes, Comrade General." He does as he is ordered.

Ivan picks up the rifle and unclips the magazine, "This is our flagship weapon. Semi-automatic seven six-two millimeter. Fully interchangeable parts. It can be switched from semi-auto to full-auto with the flip of this switch. Magazines for the weapon can hold five, ten, fifteen, or thirty, depending on your position in the unit."

He puts the rifle down and picks up the pistol, "This is our newest main issue secondary firearm. Eleven-five millimeter. It's rather new, so most of our soldiers are now passing on from the nine millimeter." He puts the pistol on the table and places his hands by the weapons, "Do you mind showing me yours?"

Eugene nods, "Alright. Your weapons on the table, soldier." Burton nods and follows his orders. Eugene picks up the rifle, "This is our main rifle type firearm. Twenty-two caliber bullet which is quick and quiet."

Ivan laughs, as well as Sergiu and Makarov. Eugene stops and looks at them, confused. He speaks up after a moment, "What? What's so funny?" Ivan calms down, "You are sending your soldiers onto the battlefield with a weapon I give my grandchildren to hunt rabbits? Please tell me you're joking!"