Chapter Eleven: Truth

A week passes by with little incident from anyone. Sergiu has left, nowhere to be seen by anyone since the helicopter was heard departing from Pelican Town.

Since then, Jessie had started farming again. He's planted summer crops and tended to them just as he did before. The town has been a lot quiter now since the others have been gone, as well as Sergiu. In the papers, it seemed like Stardew Valley was at the center of the world for a while.

Jessie enjoys the peace, though. He enjoys the quietness of what nature has to offer, and he feels much better about himself since the Arstotzkans left. Penny, on the other hand, has been tending to the animals on the farm, as well as schooling Vincent and Jas every so often. Her demeanor has shifted a lot since her mother passed away, and Jessie picked up on it. He wants to do something for her, and he's got just the right idea.

He leaves the house at around noon after tending to his crops and makes his way towards Pelican Town. His destination: Pierre's General Store. When he arrives he happily walks inside to purchase the only thing on his mind.

"Ah, Farmer Jessie! You've been a huge word around town these past few months," Pierre says, happily, "Isn't it a little early for you to be returning with produce to sell?" Jessie snickers, "Yeah, I'm here to buy though, Pierre. Something special for someone special."

Pierre nods and gives a large grin, "Ahhh, I see. Well, we have the most beautiful bouquets over there by the door if you'd like to browse! I was kind of hoping to get the chance to speak with you outside of business, if that's okay?"

Jessie nods and turns towards the door to go look at all the bouquets, "Yeah, of course." Pierre clears his throat, "Well, have you heard the family news?" Jessie, not looking, kneels down as he looks at the different vibrantly colored flowers, "No, what's going on?"

Pierre laughs, "Abigail! She's coming home soon!" Jessie stops and stands up, slowly turning back towards Pierre, "Oh?" He nods, leaving from behind the counter to stand closer to Jessie, "Yeah! Since the war ended, she chose to be discharged from the military. The new guy she's with is coming back with her and I've been getting her old room all up to shape for her return. I'm so excited!"

Jessie, a little shocked and choked up by the mere mention of Abigail's name, just smiles, "Oh. Well, uh, good for you all! Do you have any of these bouquets with tiger lilies?" Pierre looks a little confused at first but slowly nods, "Oh, n-no. We have this one here though," he says, pointing at a bouquet with beautiful orange flowers.

Jessie hands him the money he needs and takes the bouquet, nodding, "Thanks, Pierre. And congratulations." He leaves, not looking back and holds the set of flowers behind his back as he makes his way back towards Evergreen Farm.

When he returns, he hides the bouquet under the bed so Penny doesn't find it prematurely. When he leaves the house, he sees her nearby sitting on one of the old hardwood logs in the forested area to the south of the house. He smiles, noticing she is down there with Vince and Jas for school.

He hops of the front porch and makes his way eastwards towards Pelican Town. When he arrives, he notices Mayor Lewis looks very disturbed in the center of town. He raises an eyebrow and walks towards him. "Hey, Lewis. Are you, uh, okay? You don't look so good."

Lewis nods, "No, son. Not at all. You are not going to enjoy what I have learned. Here," he says, handing him a folded piece of paper. As soon as Jessie pockets the paper, two cars arrive quickly in front of Pierre's General Store, and the Arstotzkan helicopter begins to fly overhead.

Jessie throws his hands up in fear as four Ferngill soldiers get out of the cars and draw their weapons on him and the mayor. He hasn't seen those weapons since the war, but for him to be on the other end of them is a completely different experience. Lewis slowly raises his hands as well, following Jessie's lead. Both men are terribly confused.