Chapter Ten: Homecoming

The, now ex, Pelican Squad members are waiting outside a local restaurant in Zuzu City. They stand there somewhat silent, until it's broken by Elliot, "Do you think they'll be expecting our return?" Demetrius pipes up too, "Well, since we called Mayor Lewis, I'm sure he informed the rest of them that we're home. They've surely heard the news one way or another."

Jessie stands there in silence. Kent nudges his shoulder, which makes him turn back to him a little startled. "You did good out there kid. Really. I'm proud to call you my brother in arms." Jessie gives a faint smile, but otherwise just continues to stare in silence.

Eventually, Lewis arrives in his pickup truck. His big bushy mustache perks up into a grin, and he greets the group, "Well, well. I'm happy to see you're all safe and sound. You'll be relieved to know that Alex and Clint are recovering very well. Of course, Alex had to have his arm amputated and he's been really under the weather, so make sure to talk to him kindly. You all ready to go?"

"You know," Kent says, "I think you deserve a front seat, Jessie. I'll take the back." Jessie smiles and gets into the middle seat, while Demetrius takes the passenger seat. The rest haphazardly climb into the bed of the truck, and finally make their way back home.

On the way, Jessie turns to Lewis, "Any news?" Lewis, while looking at the road nods, "Yeah. Sergiu is back in Pelican Town with two new agents from Arstotzka. I don't know why they have such a high interest in Stardew Valley." Demetrius turns and looks at both of them, "What are you talking about?"

Lewis glances over, "Oh, Demetrius! I've forgotten you were in the truck. Me and Jessie believe the Arstotzkans are up to something, and we believe they want something from the valley." Demetrius looks out the window, "Yeah. I agree. Nothing but trouble has happened to us all ever since they arrived here. It makes me wonder if there isn't something happening that we're unaware about."

"Any news on whatever happened to Harvey?" Jessie says. Lewis shakes his head, "Not a word. I suspect he's in hiding from the Arstotzkans. Remember he mentioned the Fern Islands? I just hope they don't find him, or he finds a safe place to live his life." Jessie nods, "Does Sergiu know we know what he did to him?" Lewis shakes his head, "I don't think so. Or if he does, he's not telling us, which I hope to Yoba that's not the case."

Demetrius scratches his head and adjusts his collar, "What are you talking about? What did they do to Harvey?" Lewis glances back over at Demetrius for a moment, "Oh, right. They beat him and threatened his life, forcing him to give over some information on the Ferngill Republic and especially Stardew Valley." Demetrius gulps and shakes his head, "Yoba have mercy on our souls. What can we do?"

"Nothing," Lewis says, "We can't do anything unless we have evidence against them. Proof that they're not our friends." Jessie looks back to Lewis, "Harvey is our proof. We need to find out where he is and get him to testify against them! We might be able to save what's left of our home, Mayor!"

"Maybe, Jessie. Maybe," Lewis says, "But don't get your hopes up. They may have already gotten him for all we know." They all fall silent. "We would never know," Demetrius says in a condescending tone. Lewis shakes his head.

Eventually they arrive at the bus stop area of the valley, Lewis making a left turn onto the road and driving towards the community center. "Where are we going?" Jessie asks. Lewis smiles, "I wanted to show you all something we did in the old community center for your return." Lewis parks outside of the building and everyone hops out of the truck.

After the others ask the same question, Lewis opens the door and lets them walk inside the dark interior. Confused, they all begin to ask what's going on. Lewis flips the light switch and the entire community is there. "Surprise!" They all shout in unison. Loved ones begin embracing each other and they all share a moment of happiness together.