chapter twenty-one

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE YOUNG GODS
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

" YOU WERE THERE ROSIE! "▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

     ROSIE SAT ON THE FLOOR outside of the Gathering room waiting for the decision the boys were going to make. She couldn't remember very well what had happened last night but what she could remember was the smell of the drink and the feeling of his hands on her.

"You okay?" Rosie turned to see one of the youngest boys in the Glade approach her. She had probably been the most welcoming to him since a lot of the boys tend to pick on him.

Rosie nodded, "I'm okay. How about you Chuck? We haven't talked for a good minute."

The chubby boy sat down next to her, "I'm doing okay. The guys haven't been picking on me as much since Thomas arrived. So I guess that's good."

The girl hated when the boys would joke with the young boy and take it to an extreme level hurting his feelings. "You know you can tell me who it is and I'll get them to lay off, right?"

"I don't want them to get in trouble though," Chuck replied looking down at his hands with a small piece of wood.

Rosie got the hint that he didn't want to talk about it so she changed the topic, "whatcha got there, kiddo?"

A smile lifted on his lips raising the piece of wood to show Rosie, "I haven't started yet but it's gonna be me."

"Ooo," Rosie replied, "that's cool. You learned yourself?"

Chuck shook his head remembering the time the builder took time to show him how to make one, "Gally's been teaching me."

A genuine smile was placed on Rosie's lips loving when she would hear about Gally teaching things to the younger gladers. "You mind making one for me?"

"Of me?" Chuck asked

The girl nodded, "yeah. I'd love to have something you made. If you do I'll make sure you get one more piece of chicken for the days we cook some."

"Deal!" Chuck excitedly agreed shaking the girl's hand before asking her a question, "what happened yesterday? No one wants to tell me anything."

Rosie looked down trying to figure out what to tell the young boy. "David tried to take advantage of me while I was drunk."

Chuck's lips parted feeling guilty in asking her for a response. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't worry." Rosie pretended to be okay not wanting to scare the boy. "I'm good. Just waiting on what the boys decide to do."

      As if on cue, voices started getting louder inside the room. They had started arguing about the punishment they were going to give David.