chapter twenty-five

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE YOUNG GODS
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

THE YOUNG GODSCHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

" I PROMISED NEWT. "
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

     ROSIE'S EYES WIDEN, her thoughts leave her head as her hand reached out to grab onto the boy's arm like everyone else did. It was an instinct. She didn't think once to think it over. Her feet guided her before anyone could hold her back. And she regretted the moment she felt the walls move in closer to her. Once she realized his pulling was stronger than hers.

       "Rosie!"

Newt's scream brought her back to reality. The last thing she saw was his concerned face and the Gladers holding him back from breaking a rule. She felt herself starting to panic once she realized what she was doing. It was too late to turn back around now, the walls were tightening on her and the only way accesible to her was through the maze. His hand pulled her out.

Rosie stumbled in taking in the painful sight in front of her. Her knees held her up. The confused Thomas, the surrendered Minho, and the infected Alby. The sky was gloomy and so were the walls.

She could feel the regret in her chest. Especially when she knew what was to come of her and the boy she had on the other side of those walls. The boy she was never able to fulfill the love she had for him. It was all gone now. No one ever lasted through the night and that meant neither will they.

Rosie felt a brush of air against the shell of her ear causing goosebumps down her back. She pulled her hand back that was still loosely connected to Thomas' clammy hand. Before the boy could react, he was brought back to reality by Rosie pushing him back. She threw hits at his chest yelling.

"We're dead!" Her words echoed in his ears but it seemed as if they went in one ear and fell out the other. "I tried to pull you back! And, and you pulled me in instead?!" Her tone was venomous and threatening. "I'm going to kill you!"

Thomas had never witnessed such anger coming from a woman. Rosie wasn't like the girl in his dreams, she was tough and belligerent. But then again, she's been surrounded by men for months with barely any recollection of her life before the glade.

"Good job," Minho panted his pain deepening knowing Rosie was with them, "you just killed yourselves."

"What?" Thomas asked frightened and overwhelmed with Minho's statement.

"Oh my god," Rosie muttered feeling her chest tightening as she tried to recollect herself. Her hands lifted her up to her feet helping her as she looked around. The dirt that Rosie wiped off on her pants rolled down to the ground. Her feet carried her to the worn down boy meeting her gaze.