chapter one: prologue

For as long as you could remember, your life had always lacked any exciting experiences. It seemed to be an endless cycle, the schedule replaying more frequently than not. Wake up, go to school, go to your part-time job, do your homework, sleep, and repeat. Occasionally there was a disturbance in the endless loop of your life, like the mailman giving you a wave, or maybe even the old lady that lived next door inviting you in for some tea. But it didn't make a difference. None of it ever did. How could it?

After all, you were just a boring, uninteresting person. There was nothing notable about your appearance, and there definitely wasn't anything intriguing about your personality.

So why were you here? One second you were in bed, dozing off at the memory of your ever-so monotonous middle-aged teacher lecturing you, and the next, you were on top of a frighteningly tall building with nothing but your phone in your beige sweater's pocket and a freshly sharpened pencil in your hand.

You stared down at your contacts list, skimming through the small amount of names. With a furrowed brow, you shifted your eyes up to the panicked girl in front of you. Her phone was to her ear and tears were beginning to prick her shining brown eyes. Looking back at the pitiful amount of contacts on your own phone, you let out a sigh, turning off the device and slipping it back into your pocket. You tucked the pencil behind your ear before speaking up.

"Anything?" you questioned, kicking off of the metal fence behind you and walking towards her. She shook her head, disappointment swimming through her glassy eyes.

"No... I can't reach my parents at all!" She held the phone up to her face, continuing to scroll through the list of names. Her eyes lit up as she hastily tapped the name, staring at her phone with anticipation as it rang.

"Who's that?" you asked, eyeing her phone with curiosity. She opened her mouth to respond, but was abruptly cut off by a voice coming out of her phone. Her eyes widened, mouth agape with a mix of shock and relief.

"Yuri?"

"Rika?" she let out a gasp, bringing the phone up to her ear as more tears flooded her eyes. "Rika, help me! I can't reach Mom or Dad. I was at school, but all of a sudden, I'm on a high rise building somewhere. I'm on the rooftop with some other girl, and I'm just so confused! What am I supposed to do?"

The phone was loud enough for you to hear the other side of the conversation, trying to piece together who the man she was talking to was. You listened intently, waiting for his next words.

"Yuri, calm down. Who are you with?"

She looked around until her shaky eyes met your steady ones, her hands coming up to her head as she wiped the tears. Would it be harmful for you to give her your name? You didn't even know if 'Yuri' was her real name, let alone who she was talking to. As you continued to stare at her eyes, you caught sight of the panic that had glazed over them. You pursed your lips, giving her a reassuring nod.

"My name's Y/N."

She gave you a thankful smile, putting her phone on speaker for both of you to listen to. She spoke up, answering the boy's question. "Her name is Y/N. I think we both appeared here together."

"So you're here, in this world?" His voice was calm and collected, filled to the brim with concern for the girl. You narrowed your eyes at his words, looking closely at the screen. The words 'Big Brother' were sprawled across the top of the phone call, and the connection between the two clicked.

"This world? You're here too?" Yuri mumbled, looking at the buildings around her.

"Yes. Yuri, listen to me. You're a lot more calm and courageous than you think. Listen to me carefully. You too, Y/N."