chapter fourteen

The walk to meet up with Kuon, Yuri, and Mayuko was long and upsetting. Although you were plenty aware that you and Sniper would meet up again, you couldn't deny that you had gotten used to his presence. You were accustomed to him being around you and Kuon, and while you were greatly thrilled to meet up with Yuri and Mayuko once more, there had been a commotion in the back of your mind when you thought of him leaving.

There was no questioning that you weren't in the greatest of moods when you finally came into contact with the three girls, but at the sight of the three interacting with each other, you let the smile on your face creep up. As you stepped onto the bridge connecting to their building, Mayuko's flustered shout echoed through the air.

"It's not like that! Just use the name you've been using for me."

Yuri crossed her arms, lifting one finger up to her chin and looking up in thought. "Oh, then what about Mayu, or Mayu-Mayu?"

"Listen to what I'm saying!" Mayuko clamored, and you could see the bright red tint of her face from afar. You chuckled slightly, trudging across the shaky bridge as quickly as you could. At the sound of the bridge rustling, Kuon turned her gaze away from the two girls in front of her. Her eyes brightened up at the sight of you, and she smiled widely.

"Y/N!" she called out, waving her arm around in the air.

You waved back, giving a close-eyed smile. Kuon's holler caught Yuri's attention, and she turned away from Mayuko.

"Y/N...?" she muttered, her eyes shifting their way onto you. She gasped at your appearance, excitement running through her veins. "Y/N, it's you!"

You had finally stepped off of the bridge and near the girls, only to be met with a suffocating hug from Yuri. You patted her back as she wrapped her arms tightly around your neck. "Yep. It's me."

Mayuko grinned tightly at the display, impatiently tapping her foot as she waited for Yuri. Said girl finally pulled away, looking you up and down. Her smile widened when she was met with no view of injuries, and she clasped her hands around your shoulders.

"I can't believe you're here!" She turned around to Mayuko, sticking her tongue out playfully. "See, Mayuko, I told you she'd return to us!"

"Yeah, I guess..." Mayuko blushed, kicking at the floor. You let out a small snicker, turning to Kuon and gesturing towards the two girls behind you before speaking up.

"I'm not sure if you've had any formal introductions yet, but this is Yuri Honjo and Mayuko Nise. We were all a group before I met you."

Turning back around so Yuri and Mayuko could see your face, you placed your hand on top of Kuon's head. "And this is Kuon Shinzaki. She kept me safe while I was away."

Kuon looked at you bashfully, carefully fiddling with her hands as she looked down to the ground. "I'm just glad you were willing to be my friend, Y/N..."

You lifted your hand off of her head, moving it to your nose modestly. "Of course." You grinned, looking straight up at Yuri once again. "So, Ms. God Candidate, what's the plan?"

She smirked at you, a wave of confidence washing over your group before beginning to speak up. "I think it's best we continue to look for my brother. I think he was attacked and kidnapped by a Mask in a swimsuit."

A Mask in a swimsuit... Swimmer Mask? That does seem oddly familiar, is it possible that this is the same Mask that attacked Sniper?

You furrowed your brows, placing your chin in your hands. "Kidnapped, you say?"

"Kidnapped? So you're saying you have no idea what's happening to your brother?" Mayuko asked out of concern and worry. You could tell by the tone of her voice that she truly cared about Yuri's feelings and wellbeing. At the thought, you smiled.