chapter eighteen

Now that the adrenaline was fully out of your system, you had taken notice of the dull throb in your ankle. It definitely wasn't as bad as it had been when you initially injured it, and luckily, you were only left with a slight bruise. It seemed that luck was on your side, you were fortunate to not be injured badly enough to be sidelined until you fully healed.

Not only ten minutes prior, Kuon had risen from her placid slumber. She was quite relieved to see you, and insisted on exiting the room, despite you inviting her to stay. She claimed that the floor was a little too uncomfortable for her after such a taxing ritual, and she thought there might be a room with a bed nearby that she could rest in. You had no reason to force her to stay, so you bid her a farewell and she shuffled out of the room.

Although the ache of your ankle wasn't too painful, it sure was pestering. To say it was an annoyance was an understatement. You hadn't even been able to get a full look at the damage because of all of the chaos going on around you. Reaching down for your shoe, you quietly slipped it off before pulling your sock down past your ankle.

The skin surrounding the joint was slightly purple and red, but it definitely wasn't as bad as it could have been. The mark was in an almost indistinct shape of a hand, and you wouldn't have noticed it if you weren't looking for it. Pursing your lips, you let out a sigh and pulled your sock back up, sliding your shoe back on swiftly.

The rain outside continued on, and the storm only seemed to be getting stronger as each second passed. While the building you were in was heated, your body couldn't seem to get enough of it. You let out a slight shiver, wrapping your arms around yourself.

Damn... this would be a lot more bearable if I still had my sweater.

Your school shirt was definitely not the thickest, and your thigh-high socks did little to warm your legs. This was the coldest you had been in this world, and now that you thought about it, the realm you were staying in never did have any extreme weather. You were never too hot out in the sun, and it never got chilly at night. Other than the occasional rainy day, the weather seemed almost perfect.

You were snapped out of your thoughts with the sudden flash of lightning, a loud boom of thunder following seconds later. You curled into a ball to gather some type of warmth, moving your gaze to the sky. Though, your eye didn't stay there long, as a gasp from the other person in the room entered your ears.

"What the... The thunder... it woke me up. No, I should be happy I'm back in this world again."

Your eyes widened slightly, and you couldn't help the natural smile that spread on your lips at his confused tone. He looked around in a daze, but tensed up at the sight of you in the corner. You brought your knees down from your chest, giving him a radiant grin.

"You're awake."

"I am," he muttered, and it seemed that no other words were coming to either of you. Though, after only a few seconds, he spoke again. "I came back for you."

Your eyes got big and you took in a sharp breath of air, heat filling up your face. You could sweat steam was exiting your ears. Gulping down your surprise, you rubbed your arms bashfully. "You did..."

I guess it's now or never, right?

Letting out a sigh, you scooted in front of him quietly, putting your hands in your lap as you looked at the ground. He stared at you inquisitively, and you started to rub your hands together nervously. After a few seconds of internally psyching yourself up, you averted your gaze to his.

"Sniper, I..." you whispered, but shook your head at the softness of your voice. Speaking up once more, you said your words clearly. "I like you. A lot."