chapter twenty-nine

About an hour later, the group had set off. The sky was still dark and the stars shined as brightly as ever. You shifted your weight from one foot to the other, patiently waiting for the rest of the group to cross the bridge. Hayami's plan required you all to head to a building closer to Aikawa's base, and even if you were one of the people staying back, you couldn't help but get a bit anxious at the thought of Ryo.

According to Sniper, there was no other person nearby when they found you, and that could only mean one thing. Ryo survived just like you, and he was out running rampant. The most likely possibility is that he returned back to Aikawa, and you were betting on that circumstance. Ryo always was a coward when it came to being alone.

"Umm... Mr. Prophet? May I ask you a question?"

You were snapped out of your thoughts by the sound of Uzuki's voice, and you perked up to look at him. He tugged on the bottom of Hayami's haori, curiosity plastered on every feature.

"Oh... sure. What is it?" Hayami responded, glancing down at the boy over his shoulder.

"You know how to be a complete God, right? So why don't you use that method and make Kuon into a complete God? Then, we could end everything so easily."

You heard a small noise of surprise escape Yuri's mouth, and after glancing over at her real quick, you smile halfheartedly at the shocked expression on her face. Letting out quiet laughter, you looked back over to Uzuki and the Prophet.

"That is a very good question, Uzuki Kusakabe." Hayami rested his hand on top of Uzuki's head and patted it gently. "However, in the previous meeting, Sniper Mask also raised the same question."

Sniper stood a good distance away with his back turned to the group. He torched one of his cigarettes and lifted it to his mouth, slowly breathing the smoke into his lungs. You pursed your lips as your gaze lingered on him, but quickly tore it away once Hayami began to speak up again.

"I'm ashamed, but... Although I do know how to become a complete God, I don't know the specifics." He lifted his fan to cover his face, closing his eyes gently. "Kusakabe, you know that we need to find the God's Code to become a complete God, right?"

Kusakabe nodded, staring at him with interest. Hayami opened his eyes once more and began to flutter the fan back and forth. "There is more than one of these codes, there are three. Out of the three, I know where two are and how to acquire them."

The entire group was now listening to him intently, and he let his gaze trail over each one of you. It stopped on Kuon as he continued. "In order to obtain one of these two, the Railgun becomes the key. And for the other, the helicopter is the key. However, I have no information on the third. Even though I have the ability of the Prophet..." He looked away from Kuon and let his eyes stare down at Uzuki. "It might take some time and hard work to find out."

Inhaling deeply, he finally finished his explanation. "In short, you cannot become a God easily. We must consider the safety of the hostage, so we must rescue him first. This is the reason why I chose to fight. I hope you understand."

"Yes, I did. Mr. Prophet, thank you very much!" Uzuki smiled at him brightly, and your eyes softened at the childlike innocence in his own.

Regardless of how much Hayami talked, and not to mention how annoying his voice was to you at times, you could not deny how much information he provided. With this knowledge, you came closer and closer to ending this realm, and it was relieving. Despite this, there was a sliver of doubt inside of you.

The Prophet had barrels and barrels of information at hand, and he had already proved himself plenty reliable. But there was still too much you didn't know. And that worried you.