chapter seventeen

The moment you exited the room, you were met with awaiting stares from the three high schoolers outside. Yuri eyed you warily, her brown orbs meeting your own with an expectant look. You gave her a small smile, turning to Kuon shortly after.

"He's ready."

She looked over at Mayuko, politely smiling. "We'll be off then."

"Okay," Yuri replied, and you sauntered over to her. Mayuko gave Kuon a nod and began to head over to the door of the room, but was stopped by Yuri calling out to her.

"Oh, Mayuko!"

"What?" she asked, and you could hear the fake annoyance in her tone. You let out a quiet snicker at it, letting the two speak.

"Could I have your phone too?" Yuri asked innocently, voice filled to the brim with hope. "I might get a call from Yoshida's team." She closed her eyes bashful, rubbing the back of her neck. "I was supposed to contact them, but I crushed my phone by gripping it too hard."

Your eyes widened, and you looked over at Kuon. She averted her gaze to you, mirroring your astonished look. "Crushed it...?" she mumbled, looking down at Yuri's hands.

"Oh, goodness." Mayuko sighed, pulling her phone out of her blazer. "Here you go."

"Thanks!" Yuri replied, taking the phone from the blonde's hand. Mayuko and Kuon turned to look at you and Yuri, Kuon smiling at you with determination.

"I don't think it'll take long, so wait with Y/N and everyone else," Mayuko stated. Yuri nodded, and Kuon gave you one last grin before leaving you and Yuri outside of the door as it shut behind them gently. After you heard the soft click of the entrance, you turned your head to look out the window.

"It's pouring, isn't it?" you thought out loud, drawing Yuri's notice. She looked out of the window as well, the loud water droplets slamming against the glass. Nodding softly, she then looked back at you with a curious look on her face.

"Say, why did you and Sniper want to see each other? What did you talk about?"

You couldn't help the blush that rose to your cheeks, and you bit your cheek at her question. High schoolers were so nosy sometimes. You laughed a little to yourself, but soon answered her question.

"He... told me to take care of Kuon if he didn't make it."

She frowned, getting closer to you. With a pout, she then spoke her mind. "You were in there for a lot longer than that, so he told you more, right? Did he leave you with his dying wish, or something? Or... did something else happen?"

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," you mumbled, and fully turned your gaze towards Yuri. It was now that you had finally noticed the slight mischief in her eyes, and you deadpanned. "Why are you so curious about me? What did you three talk about while I was in there?"

"Well..." She put a finger to her chin, and smiled innocently. "Kuon and Mayuko gave me this phone to find more information out about the enemy."

"Is that so?" you asked, raising your eyebrows suspiciously. The naivete in her smile was almost too obvious to be true, and it left you with a sinking suspicion that she knew something else. Leaning in towards her, you put a hand on your hip. "What else?"

She held her hands up in the air as an act of playful defense, but the grin still remained. She stayed silent, and you gave her a stony stare. Lifting up your hand, you gestured for her to speak. Giving in to your wants, the innocence in her grin faded, and it was now filled with mischief. "Kuon may or may not have told Mayuko and I that you and Sniper are destined to be."

Your eyes widened at her sentence, and it felt like all air was sucked straight out of you. Your face flushed a deep red, and you brought your hand up to your face as an attempt to hide the dark color. "D-Destined to be?!"