chapter twelve

"The mask was defective?" you questioned, furrowing your brows at the new information. From what you had heard and seen from every Mask that you had met so far, if you put on the mask, you were immediately under the control of the Command. But from what Mayuko had explained to you, there seemed to be an exception.

"Mhm." She nodded, pulling her hair up into the familiar ponytail you had become so accustomed to. "I put the mask on, but I had control over my actions. The Command didn't have any effect on me."

"That's strange... so how did you end up, y'know...?" You bit the inside of your cheek, concentration evident in your eyes. You were unquestionably intrigued at the new knowledge Mayuko had been spouting off to you.

"I guess my free will wasn't strong enough. The Command started to take over." She crossed her arms, standing up and putting her backpack resting by the bed over her shoulders. A sullen look appeared on her face as she turned towards the door, slowly walking towards it. She gritted her teeth, eyes overtaken with shame. "I almost hurt Yuri."

You frowned at the regret in her voice, standing up to go after her and outstretching your hand slightly. Before you could utter a word, the door slammed behind her and you were left in the room with Kuon and Sniper. You sighed, putting your hand down by your side as you stared at the door she was once standing at with worry.

You gathered yourself up before turning around to the two standing behind you, scratching your cheek with a faulty smile. Kuon looked at you expectantly, while Sniper was leaning against the wall lighting a cigarette.

"We should follow her."

Kuon nodded quickly as you turned around and walked out of the door, but Sniper faltered. You held the door open for Kuon, watching as she bounced out of the room. After realizing that the other person in the room hadn't moved from his spot, you shifted your gaze over to him.

"You coming?" You smiled oddly at him, rubbing your nose and averting your gaze as he looked at you. You couldn't help but feel a bit of lightness blossom in your chest when he looked at you. He nodded, pushing himself off of the wall and heading towards you.

"Yeah, let's go."

The walk to where Kuon and Mayuko were residing was short and brisk. Words weren't said between the two of you, but the air was relaxed and snug. When you finally turned the corner and were met with Kuon, she gave you a happy wave. You waved back, trailing your gaze over to Mayuko. Her phone was up to her ear, and she had a hand placed on her hip.

"Yes, it's me," she muttered, staring outside at the bridge connecting to the building. Her backpack was thrown on the ground and she stopped talking to let the person respond. After a few seconds, she sighed. "No, I'm not lying."

Sniper put himself in his regular position, leaning on a wall with a cigarette in hand. You paced back and forth out of boredom, while Kuon stared at Mayuko hopefully.

"This is really Mayuko Nise. So, Honjo, where are you right now? Don't tell me you advanced without me."

This caught your attention, your eyes perking up slightly at the mention of Yuri. It appeared that Mayuko didn't have a clue of why Yuri had left in the first place, either. You looked at Mayuko, waiting for some type of clue in her facial expressions to indicate Yuri's intentions. And it seemed you were looking in the right place, as Mayuko blushed and let out a satisfied smile. She looked at you, her blush getting deeper. Turning around before you could make any comments, she continued talking to Yuri. "Thank you, Honjo. I wouldn't call it a coincidence, per se..."

You smirked, and Kuon turned to you with a curious look on her face. You waved her off, listening intently for Mayuko's next words.

"I was saved by a God Candidate who happened to pass by." She peered over her shoulder at you and Kuon, her green eyes piercing into Kuon's soft, hazel ones. Kuon let out a small yelp at Mayuko's icy stare and hid behind you. You chuckled, watching as the blonde turned around once more. She began to speak once more. "Another person I think you'd be happy to see happened to stop by as well."