chapter thirty-six

To be honest, you had completely lost track of time. How many minutes had it been...? You weren't sure. Maybe it was the nerves. The tides of the battle were up in the air at this point. Nobody knew who had the lead, and there was no telling who would get out of this victorious. You had faith in Sniper, as he had proven himself incredibly capable, but there's always room for concern, no matter how unwelcomed it is.

Sniper was on the rooftop with Aikawa doing God knows what. You sat with Aikawa's subordinate (who you had yet to learn the name of), while China Mask and Ein entertained the baby in Ein's hands. Now that the child was fully awake, it was much more of a hassle to take care of.

Fortunately, it wasn't fussy and hadn't made too much of a ruckus. You were sure that the last strand of sanity keeping hold of you would have snapped if you had to deal with a screaming baby. It made a few noises here and there, but it surprisingly stayed quiet for the most part. As long as it had somebody to entertain it and keep it company, it seemed to be content where it was at.

You crossed your arms and tapped your foot restlessly, eyes trained on the ground as you waited for some type of sign to indicate the end of the battle up above. There were too many possibilities for you to be sure of an outcome, and it was killing you.

The enormous amounts of potential results and what ifs running through your brain was incredibly overwhelming. Knowing Aikawa, he most likely brought Rika along with him. He didn't seem like one to enjoy fighting his own battles. For security reasons, there was a chance that there were multiple other Masks under his control accompanying him as well.

Sniper was an intelligent man, so there was a high chance that he was thinking the exact same way as you were. He knew when to strike, and he definitely knew when to be cautious. But there was one concern you weren't too sure about...

Sniper did have a fear of heights, you remembered him mentioning that to you in the past.

Of course, Aikawa wasn't aware of this fact. You've seen Sniper in action in high places before and he was able to keep his composure perfectly fine, but that didn't stop you from your worrying. You couldn't help but be a bundle of nerves, it was just common practice for you at this point. Who wouldn't be concerned when the safety of their better half was putting their life at risk?

It was then that you noticed how fast you were tapping your foot and how tight your grip on your arms actually was. You needed a drink of cold water, or a splash of it on your face. Something to get you calmed down. You couldn't be of much use if you were this uneasy.

Exhaling out of your nose, you finally uncrossed your arms and turned to the Mask next to you, giving him a small stare. "Do you know where a restroom is?"

"Why?" he shot back, an annoying edge in his tone.

"Jesus Christ..." You gritted your teeth, pinching in between your eyebrows. Opening up your eyes once more, your gaze narrowed as you shot daggers into him. "Because I need to use it? Why the hell else?"

"Well," he began, and you felt as if you could roll your eyes into the back of your head. "You could be attempting to escape, or going to help your friend. Master Aikawa has made it very clear that I keep watch of your group."

"I wouldn't risk the safety of my teammates by attempting to escape. Have you forgotten that there's a bomb wandering around? Can I please just go use the restroom?" you sighed out, trying your best to mask your aggravation with the boy.

He stared at your for a few seconds, examining your tense form. With a reluctant grumble, he began to give you directions. "It's three floors up. When you exit the staircase, you'll turn left. It will be the fourth door you come across."