chapter twenty-three

You gulped down the lump that had taken shelter in your throat, staring at the gun pointing directly in between your eyes. You were facing one of your worst fears, and with that gun pointed at you, there was nothing you could do about it. Your only weapon wasn't an option anymore. The moment you made one move that Ryo could possibly deem a threat, you were a goner.

"I... I thought-"

Since when had it been so hard to speak? To breathe? Your chest was tight and you felt nauseous. It seemed as if no matter how much oxygen you got in your lungs, it was never enough. Your mind was in a haze.

"You thought what, darling? I was locked up?" He chuckled, his grip on the firearm tightening. His eyes darkened as he looked down on you, gritting his teeth sharply. "You thought wrong."

You looked away from the gun, staring down at the floor with wide eyes. You swallowed down a thick pool of saliva that had been forming in your mouth. Your stomach was doing backflips, but not in the way that they had been when you spent time with Sniper. These backflips felt like they were destroying you from the inside out, it seemed to you that they were twisting your internal organs further and further with each flip done.

Ryo crouched down, observing your form intently. Narrowing his eyes, he grabbed your chin firmly, forcing you to look up at him. He clicked his tongue, letting go of your face. "You're shaking. I'm not here to hurt you."

You furrowed your brows at his words. The gun was still pointed directly at your head. What were his true intentions, then? It's true that if he wanted to kill you, you would probably be dead at this point. So what was he aiming for?

"What do you want from me?" The question seemed to slip past your lips without a second thought, and you internally cursed at yourself for how weak your voice sounded when it came out.

"I'm going to need you to hand me your knife, sweetheart. Then we can talk."

Give him my knife?

The knife was your only form of protection, and he wanted you to give it away? Just like that? After a few seconds of looking down at your unresponsive body, he sighed. Bringing the gun closer to your forehead, he moved his finger to the trigger.

"Give me the knife. I would hate for my finger to accidentally slip."

Your breath hitched abruptly at the sound of his words. Ryo was a dangerous man, you were fully aware of that fact. And if he was dangerous back in the real world, where laws and law enforcers existed, he would be much more dangerous here. He didn't give a damn whether or not his actions would have consequences either way. And that's what scared you the most.

You reluctantly reached for the knife, your shaky hands fumbling until they got a solid grip on the handle. You pulled it out of the holster, weakly bringing it forth. He smiled, grabbing the weapon out of your hand and observing it.

After a moment of inspecting, he tossed it to the other side of the room. Your eyes followed the blade, and it was only then when you realized how sweaty your palms had gotten. You were terribly nervous. Looking back up at the man before you, a bit of relief came over you when he turned the safety back on, sticking the gun in the back of his jeans.

"Remember, I have a weapon here. You don't. If you try to do anything..." He then turned to you, holding a hand out for you to take. You narrowed your eyes, declining his request and standing up on your own. He let out a chuckled, crossing his arms. His eyes darkened. "I won't hesitate to shoot you."

"I'm aware..." you grumbled, clenching your fists tightly. The only thing keeping you from entering a deep panic and focused on the situation at hand was the sting of your nails digging against the palms of your hands.