Chapter 05: Accent (Or, a momentary emphasis on a particular melodic detail)

The morning of the semi-final round was sunny and bright, filling the hotel room with soft colors and excitement for what was to come. Asuka and the rest of the girls had decided they would get breakfast from the hotel's restaurant before walking over to the stadium. Yukina, Shizuru and Keiko went to play cards in the boys' room the night before, but with Yusuke and Botan absent and Kurama leaving halfway through, it didn't turn into much of a party.

"Thank you, Keiko," Asuska said sheepishly when her friend handed her another set of clothes to borrow.

Keiko smiled and shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry they don't fit you perfectly though."

Asuka pulled the blue pleated skirt up to her waist, zipped it and then used a safety pin she'd gotten from Shizuru to pin the excess fabric and make it tighter.

"I'm grateful to have anything." The white shirt fell loose on her small frame as she put it on, but it wasn't big enough to look ridiculous. Last, her hair went into its usual messy bun.

"Asuka?" Botan called from the bathroom. "How much was in that case? I'm just dying to know!"

"Oh. Well," Asuka said with a nervous laugh. "I haven't actually looked yet."

"Ehhh?!" Botan squealed. She ran out of the bathroom with only a large towel on her head and a t-shirt. "What is wrong with you?! You've got to open it right now!"

At the mention of a suitcase, the other girls stopped what they were doing and hurried over to the middle of the hotel room.

"What suitcase?" Keiko asked excitedly.

Asuka laughed as she walked over to her futon mattress to grab it. "I was so tired after last night I decided to wait until this morning. It's only going to be 20,000 Yen or something like that."

Botan crossed her arms and huffed. "I doubt it. Why'd he give you a small suitcase then?"

The suitcase thumped when Asuka placed it on the table, and she knelt to unlatch it.

"Probably because it's more secure then handing me an envelope," she said addressing Botan's question. The lid popped and Asuka flipped it open to reveal the contents inside. Her eyes widened.

"Told you."

Keiko gasped. "Oh, wow!"

Two rows wide and five long of 10,000 Yen bill stacks lined the suitcase's interior. Asuka's hands began to shake as she took out a single stack. She counted the money out loud for the other girls to hear, in case she made an error.

"This last one makes...1 million Yen."

Botan clapped excitedly. "Five rows wide and two long means you've gotten ten-million Yen!"

Tears streamed down Asuka's face as she held the cash in her hand. "I'm not poor anymore. I can buy things I need. I could even manage to live on my own for a few years."

She felt Shizuru's hand rest on her shoulder.

"Well," Botan eyed her with a grin, "Guess we need to go shopping."

Asuka stared at the case. "Why did he give me this much? It seems excessive for some piano playing."

Botan placed her arm around Asuka. "Honey, I think it's best not to question it. Sakyo is exceedingly rich. This is pocket change to him."

Is this...a goodwill offering? Come work for me and I'll see to your every need?

"You're right," Asuka sighed, resigning not to burden her friends with her worries. She put the stack of bills back into the case save one and waved it. "Want to go shopping before the tournament? I hear there's a makeshift market near the stadium. I don't know if they have any clothes, but I'd like to give Keiko back her outfits."