Chapter 14: Prelude (Or, a musical introduction to subsequent movements)

"Rough weekend?" Kenji asked as Asuka scooted her desk towards his over lunch.

"How'd you guess?"

"The bags under your eyes," he said. "You should be kinder to yourself."

"I could say the same to you."

Kenji's expression appeared unchanged, but he said, "I'm trying."

Asuka undid her bento box lid and retrieved her chopsticks. It was a meager lunch, but she hadn't the time to prepare anything spectacular for herself after dinner with Kurama. All she had was a single Onigiri, and some Pocky.

Without saying anything, Kenji used his chopsticks to place a steamed bun in her bento box, then resumed eating. Asuka smiled and picked it up to take a bite. "This is delicious."

"My mom's a real good cook," Kenji said between bites. "And she always makes extra."

"Are you coming to music club today?"

Kenji took another bite then nodded. "You've convinced me Asuka. I'm in the club to stay. Do you know what's on the agenda for today?"

"No, but I've been curious as well."

As they continued to eat their lunch, they talked about music and their classes. Kenji seemed happier, and it warmed Asuka's heart. They'd both made a pact to see a doctor about their mental health issues, and it seemed to Asuka that Kenji finally found something that worked for him.

Asuka glanced at the clock, then realized she needed to hurry if she was going to find Kaito. She put her bento away, and stood. "I need to grab something from my locker," she explained.

"See you in a bit," Kenji said, and took out a manga from his desk.

Asuka exited the classroom and into the hallway where clumps of students stood around talking to one other over the lunch hour. Some glanced at Asuka as she wove through them, but she'd since gotten used to their piercing gazes.

This will make finding Kaito more difficult. And I can't let Kurama see me, either.

Asuka wasn't sure if Kaito even possessed ki, since Territory was something altogether different. She needed to look for him the old-fashioned way. First, she started with the hallway class A was on, and glanced inside the classroom as she passed. Kurama sat at his desk alone, reading a book.

It occurred to Asuka just then how odd junior high school really was. Because Kurama was smart and beautiful, he was regarded as mysterious and desirable. Sitting alone only added to his allure. But Kenji, who was considered ugly and weird by his peers, was a loser for sitting alone.

She passed by the door and kept going down the hall, grateful Kurama didn't see her. Kaito wasn't in the classroom, so she decided to check the locker bay next. To her relief, she saw him pulling a book out of his bag, and even more fortuitous, he was alone.

"Kaito?" she said on approach. "I need to speak with you."

Kaito shut the locker and furrowed his eyebrows which disappeared under the rim of his glasses. "Shuichi's girl," he said. "What do you want with me?"

"I'm not," Asuka shook her head. She had no time to debate whose she was or wasn't. "This is important. I know," she stepped closer and lowered her voice, "about your Territory."

A dangerous smile crept over his face. "And what of it?"

"Please call this number. An old woman, who trains people in...special martial arts skills wants you to pay her a visit. She can help you hone your abilities."