Chapter 24: Dreams of Love

The Succession Tournament was over, and what a glorious fight it had been. For Kurama, it was the first time in a year that he felt genuinely happy. Instead of war breaking out in the Makai, Yusuke, in his unique way, figured out a way to save it. And now there were going to be tournaments at regular intervals to see who would lead the Makai.

That's why Yusuke is the spirit detective, and not I, Kurama thought with a small smile. Even with all my deductive reasoning, I never would've done what he did.

Kurama planned to participate in the next tournament. It was a way for him to test himself and his abilities, and there were so many strong yokai to fight. His powers were only getting stronger. Perhaps in forty years he'd have an actual chance of winning.

Back in the realm of the Ningenkai, Kurama strode up to his house. His stepfather and stepbrother, also named Shuichi, were in Sapporo this weekend visiting some of their family. His mother, swamped with work deadlines, remained behind. Kurama was glad. Their house felt crowded ever since they added two new members to their family. He was all politeness and warmth on the outside, but on the inside, he felt they didn't belong.

"Hello Shuichi," his mother said with a smile when he entered the door. "How was hanging out with Yusuke?"

Kurama smiled back. He loved her so much.

"It was fun, mother. We played some games, the usual."

"It's been awhile since he's come by. Please tell him I miss him, and I hope he has dinner with us soon."

"I will."

Yusuke decided to remain in the Makai for an undetermined amount of time. Kurama didn't understand his reasons for doing so. Keiko would be furious. She and Yusuke hadn't seen each other for almost the same amount of time he hadn't seen....

Kurama cut the thought off.

"I'll be upstairs in my room doing homework, mother."

"Let me know if you need anything," she said with a smile before returning to her work computer.

Kurama headed up the stairs. His human body was now sixteen and-a-half. Even with some of the blunders he'd made earlier in the year, he still had gotten into his high school of choice. The question now, was what to do next.

He didn't have any ideas.

It was fall again, but the day was warm. Kurama opened the window in his room, sat on his bed and opened his books. Math was comforting, and he soon lost himself in tables and numbers.

A couple hours later, he heard the light knock of his mother's knuckles on his door.

"Come in," he called.

His mother peaked her head into his room. "Shuichi, I'm sorry to bother you, but there's an old classmate here to see you."

Kaito?

Kurama wondered what he wanted. It had been a long time since they'd seen each other.

"I'll be down in a moment, thank you."

She nodded, and Kurama put his books to the side before heading down to meet him. Only the old classmate he found standing in his house was not Kaito at all, but Kenji.

Kurama's blood ran thin.

"Do you have somewhere we can talk?" he asked.

"Follow me."

Kurama led him to the backyard. His mind reeled through multiple scenarios where Kenji, who'd always disliked him and seemed to want Asuka's attention, would come to his house. None of them good.