Chapter 12: Modulation (Or, the process of changing from one key to another)

The next couple weeks went by quickly as Asuka adjusted to school life. As she suspected, her and Kenji had much in common. His gloominess began to lift the more time she spent with him, and he even conceded to her request and tried out the classical music club. Her and Kurama continued to spend multiple weeknights studying together, and she sometimes saw him on the weekends with the Spirit Detective Squad.

Her heart felt settled, like she'd longed for this type of existence but was never given the chance. Asuka wished the normalcy could continue, but she sensed something dark coming on the horizon, and it prompted her to schedule a time to visit Genkai. There was a teacher in-service day on Friday, which meant a long weekend.

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Kurama asked as they walked side-by-side down the street toward her apartment.

"That's kind of you, but no. I called Kuwabara and he's going to come to Genkai's with me."

Kurama turned toward her and tilted his head. "Kuwabara?"

Asuka smiled. "It's been awhile since he's seen Yukina."

"Ah," Kurama said, understanding. "I am sure he is grateful for the opportunity to see her. Well, if you find you need anything, or Genkai is being...unreasonable, please do not hesitate to phone me."

"I really appreciate that. I am...nervous, but I need to gain control over my powers and understand them better. I want to be helpful during the next big fight."

A bird chirped overhead which made Asuka think of a piano piece she'd been practicing. A weekend certainly wouldn't be enough to master her powers, but if she could gain some confidence it would go a long way.

"Do you have any plans for the weekend?" she asked.

Kurama placed his hands in his pockets. "Nothing too exciting. My mother's boyfriend is coming down from Sapporo, but I will be busy with studying and helping Yusuke to see much of him."

"I didn't realize your mother was seeing someone."

"She's been seeing him for a few months," Kurama said with a small smile. "They met when his company was scouting for new partners."

"How do you feel about him?"

"Well," Kurama paused. "At first I felt hesitant. As you know, I am very protective of my mother. But he is a good man and cares for her. If their relationship progresses as I suspect it will, he will propose."

"I'm sure you did a lot of checking up on him."

"Indeed."

As they reached the door of her apartment Asuka felt her throat close up. "So, does that mean you'll be...?" She couldn't bring herself to say "moving".

"Hmmm? Oh, not to worry," he said understanding. "Part of his first trip to Tokyo was to broker a merger. Once it's complete he will relocate here permanently. It will benefit his company and remove a sizable portion of his competition."

"What does he do?" Asuka asked while punching in her apartment code.

"Investments and stock trading. The merger will set his company up to begin exploring foreign markets."

"I see," Asuka said. Once, while they were at a cafe studying, Kurama had grabbed a local newspaper and had read through the investments columns. He explained to her that his mother had given him a small sum to invest with when he showed interest in her work a few years ago, and he'd been "doing well" with trading ever since. Though, for you, "doing well" means you've made a considerable sum for yourself.

"Maybe that will give you some common ground?"

"Perhaps." Kurama's emerald eyes regarded her with a warm expression, and Asuka realized she would miss seeing him this weekend.