Chapter 09: Anima (Or, played with feeling)

Asuka looked around the cramped one room apartment. It was about 76 square meters and furnished with a mattress, area rug, low sitting table, desk, and had a single stocked row of cabinets with a sink. The bathroom was just off the hallway to the outside, and thankfully, the apartment had a washer.

"What do you think?" Shizuru asked gently.

The apartment cost 70,000 yen a month to rent, which was about average. Asuka bit her lip thoughtfully. Technically she could afford a 1LDK (one bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen) but that would cost her over 130,000 yen a month.

I need to make that money I got from Sakyo last as long as possible. I could live more comfortably, but Seiou doesn't allow students to have part time jobs, and it's hard to say what the future will bring.

"It's," Asuka hesitated, "It's tiny. But I like that this apartment has a small balcony and there's shopping just around the corner. Plus, if I get into Kurama's school, it's about a twenty-minute walk. That'll save me a lot of yen on transportation. And if I don't get into his school, the train ride won't be too bad to Keiko's."

Shizuru opened the cabinets and inspected the dishware. It was plain, but having the apartment mostly furnished meant Asuka wouldn't have to buy much. Just some sheets, blankets and towels.

"I think it's a good place for you," Shizuru nodded. "The neighborhood seems decent, you'd be fairly close to school, and I saw a coffee shop with computers you can use."

Asuka sat on the mattress and sighed. Since landing in Japan she'd done nothing but try and get her life sorted. Kurama had helped by expertly putting together a fake school transcript, helping her fill out the official documents and getting them to the Ward's office. She got a bank account, applied to Kurama's school, got the date to play her piano piece for the scholarship board, and gone apartment shopping.

Shizuru sat on the bed next to Asuka and pulled her close. "I know it's been a lot," she said sympathetically. "And please know, Kazuma and I are here for you anytime."

"Thank you," Asuka said softly. "I really appreciate everything you've done for me, including putting the apartment in your name. They don't take too kindly to 14-year-old renters."

Shizuru laughed. "Speaking of which, if you want this apartment, let's tell the landlord outside. I'll drive you to the Tokyou Hands store and you can get anything you need, which doesn't appear to be much."

"Sounds good."

Asuka opted to stay in the apartment and take a moment for herself. She looked around, satisfied.

"Okay!" Shizuru exclaimed when she finally came back into the apartment. "It's all taken care of. I gave her the information for your bank account, so withdrawals should happen automatically. I'll tell you how to change the door code later. Good thing your clothes are already in the car, Asuka. You can be mostly settled in by tonight!"

Tokyou Hands turned out to be a superstore that was eight stories high with multiple sections. Shizuru seemed to know her way around and brought Asuka to different departments. She picked out a soft lavender bedspread, white towels, brown dishcloths, and picked up shampoo, conditioner, and other such essentials. Even with how little she had to buy, there were multiple bags.

Despite the past week being nonstop, Asuka found herself grinning from ear to ear when she walked up the stairs to her new apartment. It was small, but it was hers. She had a shot at a brand-new life and wasn't going to waste it.

Groceries were put away, the bed made, and a few decorations put on the walls. Shizuru generously paid for dinner before leaving Asuka to continue getting settled. With a smile, Asuka flopped on her bed and reached for her phone to call the one person she most looked forward to seeing.